Writing a PHP App

php

PHP is a popular language for web applications and dynamic websites. You can develop and run your PHP code directly on Cloud9.

Running and Debugging PHP

You can run your PHP application on Cloud9 and use the built-in debugger to inspect your code in real-time. Read the documentation on Running and Debugging Your Code for a more detailed introduction.

There are a few different ways to launch the debugger, depending on the kind of PHP script you’re going to debug:

PHP Web Applications

In this mode, Cloud9 launches the built-in PHP web server, activates the debugger, then opens a preview window.

• Open the script you want to debug, for example index.php
  • Set at least one breakpoint (optional)
  • Choose Run > Run With > PHP (built-in web server)
<?php
echo 'Hello, World!';

PHP Console Commands

If you have a command line script that you want to debug, you can run it directly using the console runner. In this mode, Cloud9 opens a terminal window, then launches a PHP process with the path to your script.

• Open the CLI script you want to debug, for example scripts/hello-cli.php
  • Set at least one breakpoint (optional)
  • Choose Run > Run With > PHP (cli)
<?php
if ($argc !== 2) {
    echo "Usage: php hello.php [name].\n";
    exit(1);
}
$name = $argv[1];
echo "Hello, $name\n";

Installed Versions

Newly created Cloud9 workspaces run PHP 5.5 (5.5.9, 64-bit) by default. If you want to run a different version, you can use a tool like php-build to install it manually.

The following extensions are enabled by default:

$ php -v
PHP 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.9 (cli) (built: Apr 17 2015 11:44:57) 

$ php -m
[PHP Modules]
bcmath
bz2
calendar
Core
ctype
curl
date
dba
dom
ereg