Will Cloud9 ever require existing free users to enter credit card details for free tier usage?

I have been a Cloud 9 user ever before it moved over AWS and now am hearing from prospective users that I have been recommending C9 to that it is now requiring credit card details to authenticate a new free user. I keep reading the word credit card, however, would a visa debit card also suffice to use as well??? I know this is a feature that Apple also uses on their app store for iOS.
Also, as an existing free user, can you please confirm to me that if users like myself will ever be expected to verify our accounts via the use of credit card? And also how much will be charged as a one off refundable charge? This is something that has been asked to me by other friends whom are users of Cloud 9 as well. Any assistance you can give will be appreciated.

would a visa debit card also suffice

Yes visa debit card and similar cards would work too.

can you please confirm to me that if users like myself will ever be expected to verify our accounts via the use of credit card

Well eternity is a long time, and it is hard to guarantee something for that long :slight_smile:
But requesting credit cards for verification would not make sense, since all the people who wanted to use cloud9 for phishing/game servers/ddos etc. have been blocked, and the remaining have been verified by their use and support of cloud9, for so long time!
So as long as cloud9 exists in this form, there will be no additional verification requirements for existing users.

And also how much will be charged as a one off refundable charge?

Sometimes it may take around one dollar (exact sum depends on the bank). Which is returned afterwards, however depending on card type and on bank, return may take a while (in a very rare cases it can be up to couple of months).