What are hot workspaces?

What part of a workspace makes it a hot workspace? Does a process have to be running?

Keeping a project running after closing the browser
Changes in price plans clarification
Is $19 plan, support always-on feature?
Remote SSH workspace sharing between non premium users?
Cloud9 for Teams FAQ
Starting Postgres automatically
Cloud9 Glossary of Terms
Workspace seems to have crashed, refuses to be restarted

Hi,

Thank you for writing in and asking about this.

A few things to note about Cloud9 workspaces:

1. Cloud9 workspaces are running even when you’re not using them

We don’t start a workspace when you access it within your browser, we just connect you an already running workspace. Similarly closing the browser tab will not shut down the workspace.

2. A running Cloud9 workspace is a Hot Cloud9 workspace

You can think of a hot workspace as one that’s currently running. This means that when you access it, you don’t see a ‘loading from hibernation’ screen, and all your processes are running as you left them.

3. A Cloud9 workspace that’s not running is a hibernated Cloud9 workspace

Where do Cloud9 workspaces go when they’re not running then? We basically stop all the processes running on those workspaces, make sure we save everything, shut down the machine and store them in a large cloud cabinet (well, not exactly a cabinet :wink: ). The next time you need your workspace, we take it out of the cabinet, take all the contents out and re-create a machine for you with those contents.

Of course, none of the earlier processes that were running will be still running, but all your data is there as you left it and you can re-run all the processes again quickly. We do all this while you’re waiting at the ‘loading from hibernation’ screen.

4. How can I make a workspace hot then?

You can make a workspace hot by accessing it. We measure activity not by how many processes are running, but by how recently did you access the IDE last. You have a limited set of hot workspaces. How that works is, each time you access a workspace, we mark it as hot. Let’s say the limit is 3 hot workspaces. If you open workspaces W1, W2, W3, and W4 in the same order, here’s what happens:

• Access W1 (W1 is now hot)
  • Access W2 (W1, W2 are now hot)
  • Access W3 (W1, W2, W3 are now hot)
  • Access W4 (W2, W3, W4 are now hot, W1 is not hot)

Note the last step: When you accessed W4, you already had 3 hot workspaces. This means, to activate another workspace, one currently hot workspace would have to be deactivated. The one deactivated is the one that was last accessed the earliest.

5. Can I force a workspace to always remain hot?

Unfortunately not, the only way for a workspace to become hot and remain hot is that you keep using it frequently and it is always within the last x workspaces accessed (where x is the number of hot workspaces allowed on your plan).

6. Why can’t I force a workspace to always remain hot?

Cloud9 is an IDE, not a hosting platform. Hot workspaces is a feature that was created to ensure that the project(s) you’re working on don’t get stopped. Making a certain workspace hot when you’re not using it is useful for hosting scenarios, but not as much for development scenarios. On the Pro plan you are allowed 3 hot workspaces, but if your project is complex enough to need more than 3 workspaces hot at the same time, you can try our team plan which allows 10 hot workspaces per team member.

7. Does the activation rule apply for both public and private workspaces?

Yes, the hot rule applies uniformly to both public and private workspaces alike.

8. I thought my workspace was hot but it got hibernated. What gives?

Hot workspaces are not to be confused with being “always-on” and never stopping. While premium users should mostly have instant access to hot workspaces, there will be times when you’ll have to wake up your workspace. In these instances, workspaces are hibernated for operational procedures like server scaling and load balancing or for emergencies like hardware failure. If you need something to be always on then you’ll want to consider using SSH workspaces.

I hope this clears up the question. Please understand that the above is an (over-)simplification of the process, and things might be slightly different in implementation, and might change further as we move forward.

Best Regards,
Mutahhir

Keeping a project running after closing the browser
Sharing premium workspaces with free users
How to continue apache server connection 24hours
How do you usually do to share your running app with your client?
How to keep workspace online for longer
【How to keep my workspace running】

Would it be possible to set one workspace permanently “hot”?

I’m working on a project consisting of several micro web services.

For the full suite to run locally on my computer I normally start 4 webservers.

Does the 3 hot workspaces limitation mean I wont be able to have 4 workspaces up and running (event with browser on ide working)?

@Rahul_Varshney thanks for asking. Updated the post :slight_smile:

@dwaynemac There are two options for this. Since each workspace supports three ports (8080, 8081, 8082), you can host three servers on each workspace, and that way go up to 9 servers while keeping all of them running. The other alternative is going for our team plan which allows 10 hot workspaces per user.