Tried Inviting Students... doesn't work

student
education

I’m teaching HTML to my students and we are using their school email accounts XXXX@bcpss.org. It says they have been sent invites but my students are not getting the emails. When I send it to their personal accounts, it says they need a credit card. So frustrating as I have signed up for an education account. Please help!! I need this today.

Thanks in advance!

Students invited to education team asked for credit card

Invitations to students negate the need for a credit card. If they are still being asked for a credit card, it’s possible they’re not following the link and normal signup process. Try inviting yourself by email and see if this works for you.

G’day @MissLindsay1,

When inviting students we tend to get 1 in 50 students who receive the “Credit card panel on signup”, i have provided you some scenarios with solutions that work for us.

Scenario 1:
If some students are receiving the credit card during the sign up:

• Window users “Control + F5” to hard refresh their browser cache
  • Mac users “Command + R” to hard refresh their browser cache
  • Incognito doesn’t seem to resolve this issue, so i recommend telling them to hard fresh their cache
  • This is also a solution to a very common issue we have on campus whilst teaching that student code is not updating in the preview view, 97% of the time this has nothing to do with Cloud9 we found that it was the browser hitting a set cache limit and not updating anything after that until a hard refresh was done by the student.
  • Depending on your schools setup, we see within a class every 30minutes students require to do a hard cache refresh.
  • not recommended however students can disable cacheing via developers tools -> network -> disabled cache.

Scenario 2:
If all your students are receiving the credit card during the sign up, then you are most likely doing something wrong please take a look at the guides below.

Cloud9 Setup Guides, i have included both Administrator and Student setup guides we use at RMIT University.

Kind Regards,
Byron Fisher

@rmituniversity super helpful, thank you :pray:

Thank you for sharing the guide, it was really useful!

If you are using a school created account for your students, make sure that the account has email functionality.

I teach in a public high school where students are automatically provided an account with the template: idnumber@domain.org. The domain allows them access to a managed google account, which gives them drive access for storage, collaboration, and google classroom services, but it does not include an active email account with that address.

I was unaware of this until I tried to use that account address to send them their email invites.