Transitions ideas, templates, import guides for ruby on rails app?

rails

First, I agree on many people here, that C9 on AWS is just the worst way possible to move with this product further. AWS might be good. But C9 just don’t work there the way I have chosen it - being simple and fast to work on the project, not to spend days setting up the environment - yet not working.

When we can expect some templates and guides for the transition to move the projects to AWS Cloud9?

Is there anybody working on RoR project to discuss some details?

I’ve been using AWS before, but to setup cloud9 RoR app properly - I’m fighting days long since this change… All the the time new errors come up, which I didn’t have in working dev version here; and working deployed version on Heroku.

As there is no proper guide, no advice, … nothing (and all you get via google is just old c9 tutorials)… and considering how complicated is to setup and run c9 app on AWS, I’m probably going to drop c9 and aws at all and start the usual way locally.

Sad thing good ideas go bad when bought by corporate agendas.

Try CodeAnywhere - I moved across last week and I’m happy to say its more like the old Cloud9 we loved.

I agree that AWS is not as easy as Cloud9 used to be. It took me hours to get through the IAM procedures. But I am willing to give it a chance.

I could create an environment, clone a Rails repo from Bitbucket and start a server: “rails s -b $IP -p $PORT”.
It seems to run:

=> Booting WEBrick
=> Rails 4.2.8 application starting in development on http://127.0.0.1:8080
=> Run `rails server -h` for more startup options
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server

It also says “Your code is running at https://18.217.89.139”, but I cannot access the site via the browser.

Also, I cannot create a new environment:

Unable to access your environment
The AWS CloudFormation stack aws-cloud9-rails-test-67d5442e7784406893697efc515f493a 
associated with this environment is an unexpected state.
For details, see the stack details in the AWS CloudFormation console. Create a new environment 
to create a new stack.

An environment seems to run in a specific region and if I switch regions, I do not see my other environments.

I have checked Codeanywhere before, but still missing things I like on c9.io. Only relevant alternative atm is to setup a local workspace on Windows (and at the end, to me it’s like setting up AWS…).

My way that worked for now…

First, before having exact guide how to move c9.io repo to AWS c9, I’m focused to setup aws c9 environment with rails server running, and Postgres db – AND dependencies which is the usuall system setup for now, not a one-click c9.io solution (atm).

To start the RoR app, this is my part for now. I have stopped on Postgre installation for development, as I want to have the same db both for dev and production.

1. Start with AWS Codestar
  2. Create a key-pair
  3. Beanstalk application RoR
  4. Automatically choose Cloud9
    —rails not working yet
  5. add rails gem in the Gemfile if not there yet
  6. bundle install
    – rails not working yet
  7. rake rails:update:bin
  8. Run from the project directory:
    rails s

Rails basic template app in development works from PREVIEW link.

Now, how to get it run with Postgre is another part of the story, which I try work out.
That’s why some comprehensive template/import tool/guide would be great…

Importing the repo/app files is the last part as I see it for now.

There is currently no timeline or migration plan for C9.io. We greatly appreciate our existing C9.io customers and want to make sure we can provide a smooth and easy transition. As soon as we have a timeline we will communicate that to you along with the plan for moving your projects to AWS Cloud9. In the meantime, we will continue to operate C9.io and welcome your continued feedback to help make AWS Cloud9 better than ever.

I’ve passed on your specific feedback regarding Ruby on Rails, templates, transition guides and tooling, user interface ease of use, IAM, and application preview to the engineering teams. Thank you again for working with us to make AWS Cloud9 even better.