Time period of workspace pause

I understand that the workspace is paused after a period of inactivity. However I could not find a definitive answer to what are the criteria before it is paused. Is it when user closes the IDE or a few minutes after that or when the user manually stops the workspace.

PS: To investigate I ran the following in the terminal, closed the IDE and opened after few minutes and the script was still running.

while true; do echodate +%Y-%m-%d:%H:%M:%S>> /home/ubuntu/workspace/logs/test.log; sleep 20; done

Eventually what I am looking at is a solution to keep a script/process running in the background. I understand cron is not supported so my script would call the target script at a regular interval.

As far as I know, the workspace is stopped a certain amount of time after closing the workspace whenever cloud9 needs more resources. I don’t think there’s a definitive amount of time for it

That shouldn’t be possible, but auto loading the editor page would work

Workspaces are paused when they are not used and resources are needed for running other workspaces.
it may be possible to find a workaround to keep workspace running longer than it would run normally, but then your account may be banned for using too much resources.
If you need to keep process running in the background, use hot workspaces of premium plan.