Terminal isn't loading or is unresponsive

I logged in today and was not able to use the console at all. It either takes forever to load (Image) or doesn’t respond to keypresses when it does load.

Any workarounds or should I just wait it out?

Terminal unresponsive at random times

Same issue here, waiting for an update. Super annoying.

We had some issues with high load which should be resolved now. For future reference we list issues like this at http://status.c9.io. Please refresh and let us know if it continues.

Thanks for the reply. I saw the posting on http://status.c9.io and it says resolved, but I am still having that issue. Just refreshed again now, still can’t use the terminal.

Terminal just started completely locking up for me too. Refreshed and it just has a spinning circle on the tab in the IDE

I’ve been having this issue a lot, too. Usually the IDE starts up fine, but then after using a few different workspaces (and usually a few hours later) it gets bogged down.

Right now I’m stuck trying to load one of my workspaces, and the loading bar claims that it is “creating [a] container.”

Seems to be working fine now.

This seems to be happening to me often. It’s really frustrating because I don’t have a lot of time. Do the paid plans perform better? I have a free plan.

@jon1125 This shouldn’t happen, on any plan. Can you let us know the following:

• You say that it happens often, do you see a pattern maybe? Something we can use to replicate the behavior reliably?
  • Does refreshing the browser, using a different browser or creating a new terminal help resolve the issue?
  • Have you tried using Cloud9 on a different network? just to remove the possibility of a bad connection.

Regards,
​Mutahhir

In my case, it’s usually the latency. It’s working fine most of the time, if the network is busy I can feel a small delay. But I get spikes in latency regularly, something like 10 to 30 seconds or so (according to the little box in the top right corner). And then it’s back to normal again.

Those spikes can be caused by many things - no idea which side is causing it. Since the terminal isn’t async, it doesn’t cause a lot of trouble (expect the delay). But it’s annoying when you save files in the editor. Because when you continue typing after hitting save (and if it takes 30 seconds), it’ll overwrite all your additional changes once it finished saving. That’s usually the moment when I realise that my latency is high again. (Happens more often than I like)

Brand new user here. Since my very first load - the Terminal has been completely locked up and unresponsive.

I’ve tried typing in it anyway. This produces a red error message shows up at the top of my screen saying “Terminal was disconnected. Trying to reconnect.”

This is super frustrating as I’m trying to follow a tutorial that uses c9 and at this time I cannot even start it.

My terminal in c9 frequently slows down too. Sometimes I just start a new terminal because it gets frustrating to wait. It seems to happen at random times but especially often when I’ve displayed a large log file or a lot (many thousands of lines) of information scrolls by. I don’t think it’s a connection issue because the rest of c9 seems responsive during those times. But I can’t rule that out completely.
I should add, this is specifically for the Salesforce dev version of c9.

@mutahhir i am a new user and having this too. this completely defeats the purpose of having a cloud based terminal if this keeps happening :frowning:

some answers
You say that it happens often, do you see a pattern maybe? Something we can use to replicate the behavior reliably?
it has happened in 3 out of the last 4 workspaces i have created. only thing that fixes it is making a new workspace.

Does refreshing the browser, using a different browser or creating a new terminal help resolve the issue?
no. neither does restarting the workspace or restarting the computer. note that the Interactive screen is perfectly responsive. its just the terminal that is unresponsive (as well as any new terminals that are created).

Have you tried using Cloud9 on a different network? just to remove the possibility of a bad connection.
yes.

Its probably from the amount of new users from the reddit post, hopefully it goes down soon.

Yep, dead slow tonight. I can’t reconnect to my AWS instance via C9 (C( connects but just spinning loading wheels.

P.S Here is my new guide:
How to buy a new domain and SSL cert from NameCheap, a Server from Digital Ocean and configure it.

What was the reddit post?

Got to the front page of r/all

My workspaces are all unusable because the terminals are jammed up :frowning:

the hug of death!

fwiw the status page showed absolutely nothing

is there any issue with previewing that you guys know of? Some people on the thread that I posted and I can’t see the preview. Here’s the link: I can’t preview my projects

Can you please help us out?

This is still happening… Happens to me when hitting break points in the code… but the terminal just locks up all the time