Templates and Cloning on AWS

I have been happily using Cloud9 for a bit and I just set up our Cloud9 instance on our AWS console. Right away I can see it’s missing the two features I relied upon most for creating a new environment: templates and cloning.

How do I create a new AWS Cloud9 environment with a Wordpress template? How do I then clone that environment? Once our Wordpress environment is set up (which takes a while) cloning is a much faster way to start working on a new project.

BTW, I tried posting this on the AWS forums as instructed but got a message saying I had to wait a few hours after signing up to post. Really?? (Your account is not ready for posting messages yet. See the following article for details: https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/error-forum-post/ )

We don’t currently offer a template for WordPress through CodeStar (where our other templates are located), but you can spin up a WordPress instance through Lightsail and connect to it as an SSH environment. We’ve just uploaded a doc (within the last 5 minutes!) detailing this: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/cloud9/latest/user-guide/lightsail-instances.html

Cloning currently isn’t officially supported in AWS Cloud9, but you can create an AMI of your instance and use that to spin up a new machine, which you can then connect to as an SSH instance again.

Thanks for the response. I will give it a try. I appreciate the doc. That will help.

Since it sounds like (based on other posts) you are asking for feedback… my initial experience is that there is a big disconnect between my Cloud9 experience and my AWS experience. I find the AWS docs and overall experience to be very confusing (and that’s just being nice). Cloud9 has been easy to set up, easy to use, easy to create teams and share. All things I’m finding very difficult on AWS.

As much as I appreciate the effort that went into the aforementioned doc on using Lightsale, it actually serves as a great example. Compare that to the C9.io alternative – “Create a workspace, choose a name, choose a template, click ‘create workspace.’” That’s it! (And cloning? ‘Create an AMI instance and spin up a new machine and…’ vs ‘click the ‘clone’ button.’)

Not sure if that helps… I am not giving up yet. But I am struggling.

Yeah… that didn’t take long. I’m out. That doc is technically “clear,” but insanely long. And it doesn’t mention that Lightsale is an additional cost of $5-$80 per month. I don’t know what my comparable costs would be (vs c9.io), but now I know I’ll need to set up EC2, Lightsale, Codestar, and a VPC just to get going on Cloud9 (in the same way I use c9.io now). The costs of all these services does not take into account the cost to manage all of those setups.

I wish you the all the best. I guess we are no longer your use case.

I have to strongly agree with this if anyone is listening. The Ruby on Rails workspace template on the old C9 was fantastic and really sped up project creation. That also is now gone so we have to build our own environment. Deployment with the Heroku CLI, which used to be a breeze, is now confounding many users and I see them giving up on it in the forums. I’ve found a way to successfully install it, but I have to update NODE every time I start my box to get it working again - buggy. Why remove such a convenience for developers?

I agree with most of these statements, but I also understand that AWS Cloud 9 can’t be the same product as it was before. After all AWS bought it, probably because they wanted to include it into their ecosystem, not because they just liked it and wanted to own it. I was quite excited about Lambda integration and decided to give it a try. My feelings and observations after one week could sum up this:
Such car can only drive the one who knows every detail about how the car works. Before you turn it on, you need to adjust the spikes, blow the tires, and adjust the voltage. It is a pure contrast to what Cloud9 was before: a user-friendly product. For people who just want to drive a car and are not interested to be driver and car mechanic in one person, this is a disaster and they will go away, I’m pretty sure.
Even if I am enthusiastic about the integration of Labma’s functionality adn the fact that the whole AWS ecosystem became more accessible with AWS Cloud 9, I must admit that Cloud 9 has irretrievably lost some of it’s simplicity and multi-purpose functionality. It seems impossible to have everything in one …
So there is no way back. If you choose to jump on AWS bandwagon, great, I’m sure that development will go on, support is great, documentation professional (and insanely long), but we need to forgot old Cloud 9, so let it RIP.
And about templates… c’mon guys, is it such a problem to run a little script which will configure your workspace, install node, etc? I think not.
So what is more important for me (and time consuming) is possibility to run script to configure also AWS services (IAM, VPC, EC2, etc) from within Cloud 9. If this is already possible, I would be grateful for any hint.
Edit: Just got answer on AWS forum that most of it is possible with their CLI.