Support .editorconfig

.editorconfig

It would be nice if Cloud9 would support .editorconfig files.

EditorConfig helps developers define and maintain consistent coding styles between different editors and IDEs. The EditorConfig project consists of a file format for defining coding styles and a collection of text editor plugins that enable editors to read the file format and adhere to defined styles. EditorConfig files are easily readable and they work nicely with version control systems.

Almost all common IDE’s and text editors, and several hundreds of large open source projects already use it.

+1.

I need to keep the trailing spaces in .md file, but .editorconfig config is not supported.

has there anybody any good solution for it?

Definitely a great feature to integrate.

bump not sure if this has been implemented yet, would be very useful for me

There is support for .eslint, which should do the trick for you. If you’d rather not learn the actual differences then you could find a converter like this one (this is the opposite way from what you want).

While I’m aware of an use .eslint, my purpose was more related to universal cases. A lot of open source projects come with .editorconfig files to make code neat and organized, and in this case it is very useful for collaborators to make their lives easier. If even basic support was added I would be very pleased, as it means working on open source projects would be less of a hassle.

I agree, .editorconfig files are much more common as .eslint files. Also ESLint is dedicated to JavaScript, which is not what I am using (Python and Go).

Valid points, thanks for clarifying!

Found this thread after some Google-fu. So, are you guys working on it? or is it never coming?
By the way, eslint (and other linters) lint files for coding style issues and what not… after the code’s been saved. The purpose of .editorconfig is to make sure the editor knows my settings (tab length, spaces vs tabs etc). This allows you to have different configurations for different files (for example: 4 spaces when you press tab in a html file, 2 when you do it in a js file)

bump! want this feature, at least I want to keep .md file not striped when I strip all my other source codes.

Was this added? if not, +1 for this feature!

Will this feature be added??
+1

This feature is really needed! In https://janitor.technology/ it’d make contributing with the right code style much easier! Please build that it.