Starting Ruby, Complete Beginner

I started a work station with Ruby in Cloud9 and thought i could immediately begin running any code I wrote. I’m trying to take an application for a bootcamp. However, I keep getting this message:

When I tried to set root route to root ‘welcome#index’ I get that No Application Seems to Be Running Here.

https://appacademy-dustinkim.c9users.io/

What does it say in the right upper corner? Browse the documentation!
Did you do that?

Apparently you are also using an older version of rails. Because with rails version >= 5.0.0 you will get another start screen!

If you want to see the root route to welcome#index, you need to:

1. Create a welcome controller with an index action: rails generate controller welcome index
  2. Create a view for your welcome controller’s index action. (create a file named index.html.erb under the app/views/welcome directory.

Hi, I’m confused and totally new to all of this. I thought Cloud9 automatically runs ruby on rails once you click on it and get set up after the tutorial?

this is the one that I got when i started with cloud9. how would i upgrade?

You should start by reading and following a good tutorial. I recommend the railstutorial.org site by Michael Hartl. You can read the book for free, online. Other sources (video’s) for beginners can also be found on youtube.