Setting Up phpMyAdmin

phpmyadmin
mysql
php

PHPMyAdmin provides an easy to use web interface to manage your MySQL database(s). Some of phpMyAdmin’s features include:

• Import data from CSV and SQL
  • Export data to various formats: CSV, SQL, XML, PDF, Word, Excel, LaTeX and others
  • Creating PDF graphics of the database layout
  • Creating complex queries using Query-by-Example (QBE)
  • Searching globally in a database or a subset of it
  • Transforming stored data into any format using a set of predefined functions, like displaying BLOB-data as image or download link​
  • Live charts to monitor MySQL server activity like connections, processes, CPU/Memory usage, etc.
  • Many more

Using PHPMyAdmin with Cloud9

Here we’ll explain how to install a PHPMyAdmin instance right in your workspace. Each workspace runs its own database and copy of PHPMyAdmin.

First, create a PHP workspace so you have PHP, MySQL, and Apache installed right away. You can then make sure you have MySQL installed by running:

mysql-ctl install

Then install phpMyAdmin:

phpmyadmin-ctl install

After the installation is complete you’ll just want to make sure mysql is running once more:

mysql-ctl start

After installing phpMyAdmin, you were given a link to access PHPMyAdmin which will follow the pattern of: https://[workspacename]-[username].c9users.io/phpmyadmin. From that link, you can login with your Cloud9 username and a blank password.

Creating a Database

You can create a database by clicking on the “Databases” tab up the top. On this page you’ll see a “Create database” field where you can enter the name and create a new database.

If you’d like further help using the software please consult the official PHPMyAdmin docs.

Security

Because MySQL has a blank password by default and phpMyAdmin uses the same credentials as MySQL, phpMyAdmin has a blank password by default as well. This is great because it makes setup significantly easier for users. Additionally, since developers generally don’t (and often shouldn’t) put sensitive/important data in a development environment like Cloud9, having no password on phpMyAdmin is rarely an issue.

If you do have sensitive data in the database in your workspace or if you feel safer locking down your database, you can simply change your MySQL password and lock down your database as you’d like to.

If my Cloud9 username is “myUser” then I can change my password to “test” by running:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'myUser'@'%' = PASSWORD('test'); 

From this point, I’ll get into the CLI for MySQL by doing:

mysql -u myUser -p

Then I’ll be prompted for my password.

How To Access phpmyAdmin
Cant connect to mysql
Tutorials - Table of Contents
Debug help, `Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed`, cannot modify config-db.php file to update password
Absolutely cannot login to my wordpress installation
Cloud 9 The requested URL /phpMyAdmin/ was not found on this server
Database gui tools
Using Cloud9 on a shared hosting site?
Putting a wordpress cloud 9 website online

@bradydowling what does “ctl” stand for? Is this Cloud9 specific because I’ve never seen the ctl anywhere else I’ve had to install mysql.

Yes, this is a Cloud9 specific alias that just stands for control. You may also try using the vanilla/standard mysql command. I think that should work but I haven’t tried that in a long time so give it a shot.

Is it possible to connect from phpmyadmin to a database manager (DBMS)?

Looks like it’s pretty unlikely. Here’s a Stack Overflow question about connecting phpMyAdmin to MySQL Workbench but it’s basically just a workaround that wouldn’t make for a very efficient workflow.

Great, but not working with PHP 7. Can you help me?

You installed all Php extensions?

1. sudo apt-get install php7.0-mysql
  2. sudo apt-get install php7.0-mcrypt

My upgrade process

mysql-ctl stop
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php7.0
sudo a2dismod php5
sudo a2enmod php7.0
sudo apt-get install php7.0-dom
sudo apt-get install php7.0-mbstring
sudo apt-get install php7.0-zip
sudo apt-get install php7.0-sqlite
sudo apt-get install php7.0-mysql
sudo apt-get install php7.0-mcrypt
php -v
mysql-ctl start

Installing phpmyadmin this way messes up the apache configuration.

It might be worth noting that after adding a password to your user the password has to be entered into
/etc/phpmyadmin/config-db.php

Otherwise you get a

Cannot connect to control user.