This Quick Start deploys and configures the required infrastructure for SAS Grid software on the AWS Cloud.
SAS Grid is a shared, centrally managed analytics computing environment that features workload balancing and management, high availability, and fast processing. A SAS Grid environment in the AWS Cloud provides the elasticity and agility to scale your resources as needed.
This Quick Start bootstraps the infrastructure for a SAS Grid cluster by provisioning Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instances for SAS Grid, SAS Metadata Server, and SAS mid-tier components. It also sets up Intel Cloud Edition for Lustre, which provides a shared directory for the grid.
This Quick Start was created by AWS in partnership with CoreCompete. CoreCompete is a big data analytics consulting organization, SAS Gold Partner, and AWS Advanced Consulting Partner.
Use this Quick Start to set up the following configurable environment on AWS:
- A virtual private cloud (VPC) configured with public and private subnets according to AWS best practices. This provides the network infrastructure for your SAS Grid deployment.
- An Internet gateway to provide access to the Internet.
- A Remote Desktop Gateway instance in an Auto Scaling group, acting as a jump host.
- Managed NAT gateways to allow outbound Internet access for resources in the private subnets.
- In the private subnets, 2-6 EC2 instances for SAS Grid.
- In the private subnets, EC2 instances acting as Lustre MGT (Management), MDT (Metadata), and OSS nodes.
- Security groups for the Remote Desktop Gateway, SAS Grid, and Lustre stacks.
- Amazon Elastic File System (Amazon EFS) scalable file storage, to share the bootstrap information with the SAS Grid and Lustre nodes.
- Your choice to create a new VPC or deploy into your existing VPC on AWS. The template that deploys the Quick Start into an existing VPC skips the components marked by asterisks above.