RVM error when opening new terminal

Hi everyone! I’m trying to follow the Rails Tutorial (again) using cloud9, but I seem to have a problem when trying to open a new terminal window. Everything works flawlessly in the first terminal, but any additional one will have this warning at the top:

Warning: PATH set to RVM ruby but GEM_HOME and/or GEM_PATH not set, see:
    https://github.com/rvm/rvm/issues/3212

In my case, this prevents me from issuing any “rails …” commands. I tried to look into the problem, but there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do from inside cloud9.
Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi,

This is a known issue and we are trying to release a fix for it very soon. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Dana

This issue should be fixed now.

I’m having this issue right now

Same here. I have tried opening new workspaces, restarting etc…and not able to get it up and working again.

I have the same problem now. It doesn’t work after restarting for many times.

If I open a new terminal and cd to the app workspace. Issuing the following fixes up the problem (for me).

rvm use default

I have the same problem :confused: when it will be resolved?

I am running a Node workspace, and I am getting the same error:

Please help :slight_smile:

I am having this problem right now out of the blue. Everything is dead. Cloud9, PLEASE provide more up to date info on this as I am dead in the water…

Getting same warning as @jsnd right now :frowning:

We’ve seen this issue come and go for some users and we’re looking into this in depth. More to come on the matter.

Thanks, @bradydowling , it looks like the error has gone away for me…

Previously, there was text indicating the path to my workspace’s application link with some additional information. This text is no longer showing up… this isn’t an error per se, but it was helpful to have the additional information.

That being said, I appreciate your assistance on this issue.

It could be fixed by entering “rvm use ruby 2.3.0” in terminal.
Please try this.

Until we fix the underlying bug, I’ve marked this as the solution so others can see this easily. Let’s continue any related discussion here.

Is there any update yet? It was working for a bit yesterday and now it is down again.

Thanks!

Error is still an issue: I tried all suggested fixes, but nothing works. Error:

/usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-2.3.0/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/dependency.rb:319:in to_specs': Could not find 'railties' (>= 0.a) among 16 total gem(s) (Gem::LoadError) Checked in 'GEM_PATH=/home/ubuntu/.gem/ruby/2.3.0:/usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-2.3.0/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0', executegem envfor more information from /usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-2.3.0/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/dependency.rb:328:into_spec’
from /usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-2.3.0/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_gem.rb:65:in gem' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0/bin/rails:22:in'
from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in eval' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in

Also experiencing this. Tried the workaround provided by @skynet86, seems to alleviate the problem but I think there are still some issues when trying to install some new gems.

Still not working… Solutions mentioned above are not working. The only solution is to make new workspace until this error does not show up… This error is randomly occurring :frowning:

Warning: PATH set to RVM ruby but GEM_HOME and/or GEM_PATH not set

Agreed: the problem is fixed on most of my vm’s, but when creating a new one today, I have this issue again

The suggested fix does not work for me.