Read-only file system: '/etc/apt/sources.list'

In trying to update/add some packages to my cloud9 but adding to the ‘/etc/apt/sources.list’ makes a read only error. Tried solution shown in this thread to create/add sources list URL but get READ ONLY error…

The thread you mention tells you to use the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d/. Create a file with a meaningful name of your repository in that directory and use the extension .list. In this file add your URL of the repo like you would in /etc/apt/sources.list

Yes exactly what I tried doing but OS wouldn’t’ let me WRITE to the directory. READ only.

Try this in a terminal sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mysource.list

Fill file with what it needs then save and exit.

What’s happening is that a sudo add-apt-repository… at terminal results the READ ONLY error

OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/etc/apt/sources.list'

The python script is trying to write to the file…

I even tried chmod but it is the file system that’s reaad only

$ sudo chmod 644 /etc/apt/sources.list
chmod: changing permissions of ‘/etc/apt/sources.list’: Read-only file system

Can you try the last suggestion from @jms1989 please? Thanks!

Look exactly:
/etc/apt/sources.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/repro.list

You have to create your own file in the directory ending in .d

Agreed… I did exactly that creating and saving that file with the deb repository url…
But the next step is to install the app in that repository results in this error

$sudo apt-get update
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net trusty InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A1715D88E1DF1F24

$ sudo apt-get install <package_name>                                                                              
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate <package_name>

of course <package_name> is replaced with actual name of package.

So either the repository was correctly read but missing GPG is the problem

or the repository update is the problem ??

You’ll need to install the gpg key from that particular repository before you can use it.

Yes it looks that way
this Ubuntu thread explains it in detail