Random pre purchase questions

Hi! C9 looks interesting, but I have some trouble wrapping my head around some things, so I hope it’s OK for me to ask some questions :slight_smile:

1. Do C9 have ways to use a terminal to for instance push to GitHub, compile assets, install webpack, gulp, etc?
  2. Is a workspace the same as a site? If i have 20 questions, do I need one workspace for each of them?
  3. Is it possible to connect C9 to a local vagrant and download the code and code with Sublime and then push up again so I always have the same environement locally, on C9 and development?
  4. Is it possible for a member in a team to have personal, closed sites/workspaces(?)
  5. Do you have any counter measures regarding security? Do I need to maintain the Linux distro myself?
  6. Can you also run production sites?

Cheers!

N

Ask away, we’re here to answer.

1. Each Cloud9 workspace is an Ubuntu 14.04.3 Docker Container, so you have a fully capable terminal with root permissions at your disposal. I find this very useful because it means migrating your site to a production linux box (which is very common) is easy, and you don’t have to worry about changing your code to work on a different platform.
  2. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “20 Questions”, but each workspace is effectively a site, though it is possible to run 3 servers on the 3 available ports: 8080, 8081, and 8082.
  3. Unfortunately, there’s no way to sync Cloud9 locally that I know of, the best way would have to be using something like GitHub, and then just pulling changes from the other environment. I think you’ll find that you might not need Sublime, however, as Cloud9 is a fully capable IDE, and is easily customizable to however you want it to be.
  4. Yes, on the pricing page, you can see the available Private Workspaces for each plan. For instance, users on the free plan are allowed 1 Private Workspace that is only visible to them, and is only accessible to them or people they have explicitly invited.
  5. Cloud9 takes security very seriously. They even went so far as implementing a required Credit Card Validation step to prevent abuse of their service. They also only allow ports 8080-8082 to prevent malicious use of the service, such as spamming emails using SMTP. The service itself is automatically updated to the latest version when you refresh, and I believe the containers are updated when necessary.
  6. Cloud9 is unfortunately a development service only. This is a very popular question, but Cloud9 does not plan on providing a production service. However, they do integrate very nicely with Google Code Repositories and Google App Engine, and it’s possible they will provide integrations with AWS given they were purchased by Amazon to be part of the AWS family.

I would highly recommend Cloud9, and I’m happy to say I’ve used nothing but it for web development for over a year. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask here, and we’ll answer.

Hi, Danny :slight_smile: Thanks so much for a fulfilling answer. I will try this out and hope I like it in practise :slight_smile: In step two I meant “20 workspaces”, not “questions”. Guess I were somewhat tired while writing that.

Do you know if it’s planned to implement a feature where one can I use the same enivorenement locally and use own IDE?

I understand, been under a fair amount of stress recently myself. Get some sleep, and dream about it. I’m pretty sure they have no plans on the roadmap to allow local sync, unfortunately.