Rails environment stopped working (proc must be mounted)

rails

Hello all,
I recently switched to developing on cloud9 - has been a great experience!
However this morning, after logging in, it seems something has gone wonk on my environment (basic rails setup)

A) Upon logging in, my bash shell immediately displays:

Error: /proc must be mounted
  To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
      proc   /proc   proc    defaults
  In the meantime, run "mount proc /proc -t proc"
kiernanlabs:~/workspace (master) $ 

B) The shell can no longer locate rails

kiernanlabs:~/workspace (master) $ rails
bash: rails: command not found

Maybe something got messed up in my project settings? However, after poking around a bit, I couldnt quite figure it out. Really appreciate any help.
Thanks!
Joe

Did you use the Rails template when setting up your environment?

Im fairly sure I did, only because the environment had been working for the past few weeks.
It may have somewhow reset though? Is there a way to switch it back to a rails environment?

In the meantime, I ended up just setting up a new rails environment from the same github repository which is working fine.

Hm not sure what you mean by rails environment… Choosing the Rails template for your workspace only installs Rails’s latest stable version and creates a new application, as far as I know.

Is it possible that you accidentally modified/removed some other file in your workspace machine?

Hi Joe,

The initial errors seem strange and I’d like to take a closer look there. Can you tell me the name of the workspace you’re seeing these in, and also send any screenshots you have about the first error?

Thanks!

Regards,
​Mutahhir

HI mutahhir,
Thanks for the help.
The workspace showing the error is bubbling-beaker (https://ide.c9.io/kiernanlabs/bubbling-beaker) and a screenshot is below

I successfully moved all the files over to bubbling-beaker-refill which seems to be working fine.
Best,
Joe

Looks like you’d either need to remount /proc or restart the workspace…

This looks like an issue on our side. Oddly one we’ve never seen before. We addressed it and will add a sanity check to make sure this doesn’t happen again.