Python Virtualenv Error

python

I’m attempting to put two different pieces of my web application on the same workspace, the django application and the background processes that import data from other APIs, etc. They use separate python requirements.

I’ve setup my workspace as directed in the cloud9 docs to use python 3.4.3, and I’ve verified pip is also pointing at the python 3.4.3 directory.

Virtualenv, I assume, is the preferred way to support this, but after installing virtualenv on my ubuntu workspace using sudo pip install virtualenv, I’m getting the following error when trying to create a virtualenv directory inside of the main workspace directory.:

modusvivendi:~/workspace $ virtualenv --always-copy venv_imagenetmps

Using base prefix ‘/usr’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/virtualenv”, line 3, in
virtualenv.main()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/virtualenv.py”, line 708, in main
symlink=options.symlink)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/virtualenv.py”, line 921, in create_environment
site_packages=site_packages, clear=clear, symlink=symlink))
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/virtualenv.py”, line 1141, in install_python
copyfile(stdinc_dir, inc_dir, symlink)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/virtualenv.py”, line 352, in copyfile
copyfileordir(src, dest, symlink)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/virtualenv.py”, line 324, in copyfileordir
shutil.copytree(src, dest, symlink)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/shutil.py”, line 343, in copytree
raise Error(errors)
shutil.Error: [(’/usr/include/python3.4m/numpy’, ‘/home/ubuntu/workspace/venv_imagenetmps/include/python3.4m/numpy’, “[Errno 21] Is a directory: ‘/usr/include/python3.4m/numpy’”)]

I’ve done some googling with no luck as to what the resolution might be.

FYI: I get no errors doing this when --always-copy is not specified. Is --always-copy not supported on c9, or is there maybe not a benefit to using it in this kind of environment?

Thanks