Permission denied for 'cp' or 'mv' command

Hello,

I’m taking cs50 and I’m a baby to c9.

Why can’t I use the ‘cp’ or ‘mv’ command but I can accomplish by using the GUI? It gives me a ‘Permission denied’.

Am doing something wrong?

Thanks,
João

The files are probably owned by the root user or someone else. How did you get them into your workspace? Can you run ls -la in the folder you’re having trouble in and post the output here. That shows all the files in the folder along with who owns them.

Hey Tim,

I created every file and folder except for ide50.

This is what I get from ls -la

jmpsequeira@ide50:~/workspace/cpabg $ ls -la total 28 drwx-w---- 7 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Mar 31 18:07 ./ drwxrwxr-x 10 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Mar 31 18:02 ../ drwx-w---- 2 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Mar 31 13:40 ch3/ drwx-w---- 2 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Mar 31 13:40 ch4/ drwx-w---- 2 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Mar 31 16:56 ch5/ drwx------ 2 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Mar 31 17:40 ch6/ drwx------ 2 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Mar 31 18:19 ch7/

Edit: I created them directly on cloud9.

Ok…

So I should always use the prefix ‘sudo’ to execute those commands?

Can you also tell us the full command you’re giving for cp or mv?

hey mutahhir,

I’m very new at this but I think I got it after reading your post and doing a little experiment.

I was placing the ‘/’ ahead of the folder like so:
jmpsequeira@ide50:~/workspace/cpabg $ mv test /ch9

and know I get it like this:
jmpsequeira@ide50:~/workspace/cpabg $ mv test ch9/

Thanks

With /ch9 you were moving it to a folder in your root directory, which is owned by root and would require you to use sudo. Once you change to ch9/ then that was a completely different folder so you were able to move it there because it is not owned by root.

You probably don’t want to use / as that refers to the core root directory of your virtual machine where system files are stored. You want to use ./ which refers to the current directory. So type mv test ./ch9/ instead.