Painfully slow Rails application

I just started using C9 and already love it however I am having serious issues with performance. Specifically, running rspec tests or thin rails server. I’ve scaled the workspace to 2.5 GB of memory with little improvement. Are there any other scaling options? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hey Adam,

I’m sorry, we currently cannot offer larger RAM sizes then that.
However are you sure it’s limited by RAM? What does the stats indicator in the IDE tell you?

Cheers,
Matthijs

Hi Matthijs,

I am having the same issues as Adam (only difference is that I use puma instead of thin) and it’s definitely not a RAM problem… I was using an old Micro account and SSH c9 environments to a VPS on Digital Ocean. Performance was great with 2GB or RAM and 2 cores.

I decided to migrate to the new Pro account to benefit from unlimited projects, better isolation, and 2.5GB or RAM per project, but a single project on c9 is incredibly slower than multiple projects running at the same time on my VPS!

Everything, from loading the rails console, to starting the server, to loading preview pages, and running tests just take forever… Is there anything you can do to improve the situation? I’m happy to help you troubleshoot if required.

Thanks,
Cesare

Everything, from loading the rails console, to starting the server, to
loading preview pages, and running tests just take forever…

I also tend to experience this and like you said, it doesn’t seem to be a RAM issue…

Mine is now PAINFULLY slow. Yesterday was the first time this happened. But it’s almost unusable! Why is it so slow?

Any update on this? When I run the Rspec, it rakes forever to run it on Terminal. I am in Australia.