MySQL won't run or restart

workspace
mysql

I’m having trouble getting MySQL to run on my workspace. I’m trying to run a Wordpress site and have tried several fixes found within this community forum, with no luck.

I’ve tried restarting MySQL by running “service mysql restart” and I get the following:

• Stopping MySQL database server mysqld [ OK ]
    df: ‘/var/lib/mysql/.’: Permission denied
  • /etc/init.d/mysql: ERROR: The partition with /var/lib/mysql is too full!

My workspace is only using 96MB / 2048MB, so I’m not sure how it could be too full to run. I’ve also tried reinstalling MySQL, restarting the workspace, and cloning the workspace, but I still can’t get MySQL to run.

Has anyone been able to solve this issue? Please keep in mind, I’m a total newbie when it comes to this server stuff.

A quick follow up to this—I checked the disk space available in the directory by entering “df -h /var/lib/mysql” and received the following result:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
none 2.2G 84M 2.0G 5% /

From this result it looks like I’ve only used up 5%, but I could be missing something here.

Try starting stopping this with sudo permissions?

I tried a series of commands using sudo. All of these returned various errors. Here’s what I entered and received:

$ sudo mysql-ctl start
* Starting MySQL database server mysqld
   ...fail!

$ sudo mysql-ctl restart
* Stopping MySQL database server mysqld
   ...done.
   ...fail!

$ sudo mysql start
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Cant connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

$ sudo mysql restart
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Cant connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

$ sudo service mysql start
   ...fail!

$ sudo service mysql restart
* Stopping MySQL database server mysqld
   ...done.
   ...fail!

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated.

Due to the lack of response on this, I’ve moved the project to my own web server. Pretty disappointing since I had to rebuild the database portion from scratch.