Keeping a project running after closing the browser

rails
workspace
ruby

So I’m doing a college project for my Ruby on Rails class, and one of the last grades i get is for having other students review my project to test it for bugs or errors. I was wondering if there’s a way to keep the project running after i close the browser.

Not to be confused with the workspace, because the idea is that I’ve done the coding i need to do and can come back to that later, but i need others to be able to view my implemented project without having to leave a computer on for a whole week.

Because of the semi-ambiguous definition of “Hot Workspace” i didn’t know whether upgrading to the premium just for the end of my semester would be what i need.

I can’t speak on behalf of c9.io, but this is what I think hot workspaces do:
https://docs.c9.io/docs/inactive-workspaces

They don’t stop processes and don’t get hibernated. But they could get occasionally stopped, see more detail here:

Cheers!

You should not need to upgrade to premium just for this. If you just share the workspace with your friend and then tell him/her the command to run from the terminal then that should be enough to get it back up and running.

The problem I have is that this is an online course, so no person sitting next to me, and the Tutor doesn’t tell us who is going to be reviewing the site, thus the need to keep it running for the period they are reviewing.

If you just need to deploy for a short amount of time, you can probably get some free credits from a hosting provider like Digital Ocean, AWS, or Google Compute Engine. If it’s just a client-side project then you can host that with Github pages indefinitely.

i need it to go for a week, just during the review process, but again i cannot outsource, i don’t get to tell the other students what to do, nor do they get to look at my actual code and console. They’ll literally get a link with
https://final-project-yondaime87.c9users.io/page
and from there navigate and test the system. Will the “hot spaces” allow me to do that?

Likely they will but hot workspaces are not “always on” workspaces. See point number 6 in this thread (as @b2m9 mentioned) for more details.

Sounds like that’s what I need, I can easily “wake it up” when I get up in the morning and when I get back from work, I just can’t keep the browser open 24 hours for a week