Installing Linuxbrew

Linuxbrew is a fork of the popular Homebrew app for Mac OS X. Generally, it can allow you to install apps without sudo permission, which is actually not a problem on Cloud9 :wink:

Using Linuxbrew can bring a level of familiarity for Mac users and can simplify the installation of some packages for Linux users as well. Full info for Linuxbrew can be found on the Linuxbrew homepage.

To get going with Linuxbrew, first download and install Linuxbrew with the following commmand.

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/linuxbrew/go/install)"

Then edit your .profile file to allow running of the brew command. You can get to .profile from the terminal or by choosing to show the Home directory in your favorites, then double click .profile to open it.

Paste the following lines into the file and save it.

# Until LinuxBrew is fixed, the following is required.
# See: https://github.com/Homebrew/linuxbrew/issues/47
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
## Setup linux brew
export LINUXBREWHOME=$HOME/.linuxbrew
export PATH=$LINUXBREWHOME/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$LINUXBREWHOME/man:$MANPATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$LINUXBREWHOME/lib64/pkgconfig:$LINUXBREWHOME/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LINUXBREWHOME/lib64:$LINUXBREWHOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Now open up another terminal (or restart the current terminal) and run which brew and you’ll see:

/home/ubuntu/.linuxbrew/bin/brew

Tutorials - Table of Contents

So I was able to install linuxbrew… but I can’t get the command “brew” to run. I checked my folder structure to update the .profile file, but I couldn’t find it. I did find a .profile file in /.c9/metadata/workspace/.c0/.profile . When paste in the above code and open a new terminal, it still doesn’t recognize the brew command or find it via “which brew” Did I update the right .profile file?