How to upgrade to PHP7

Thank you, I upgraded PHP5 to PHP7 with the help of your comment.

This article is not ok, because apache still keeps using the older version of PHP

This is what i get :

$ phpbrew install 7.0 +default
===> phpbrew will now build 7.0.24
===> Loading and resolving variants...
Downloading http://www.php.net/get/php-7.0.24.tar.bz2/from/this/mirror via curl extension
[==================================================================] 184.00/184.00B 100%
Redirecting to http://php.net/get/php-7.0.24.tar.bz2/from/this/mirror
Redirecting to http://php.net/distributions/php-7.0.24.tar.bz2
[==================================================================] 13.95/13.95MB 100%
===> Extracting /home/ubuntu/.phpbrew/distfiles/php-7.0.24.tar.bz2 to /home/ubuntu/.phpbrew/build/tmp.1508371882/php-7.0.24
===> Moving /home/ubuntu/.phpbrew/build/tmp.1508371882/php-7.0.24 to /home/ubuntu/.phpbrew/build/php-7.0.24
===> Checking patches...
Checking patch for replace apache php module name with custom version name
===> Configuring 7.0.24...

Use tail command to see what's going on:
   $ tail -F /home/ubuntu/.phpbrew/build/php-7.0.24/build.log

Error: Configure failed:
The last 5 lines in the log file:
checking for cURL in multiarch path... not found

./configure: line 410: test: please: integer expression expected

configure: error: reinstall

./configure: line 299: return: please: numeric argument required

./configure: line 309: exit: please: numeric argument required

Please checkout the build log file for more details:
         tail /home/ubuntu/.phpbrew/build/php-7.0.24/build.log

For anyone still needing to upgrade to PHP7. I wrote a bash script to make the process painless. Below is a link to the scripts GitHub page. All you need to do is run 3 commands in the terminal and you’re upgraded.

Cloud9-PHP7-Upgrade

It would be great if you could make it update to PHP 7.2 :slight_smile: But this was awesome. Thank you.

It would be great if you guys updated this for the latest version of PHP as this did not work for me.

No promises, if I get some time I’ll give it a whirl. If you do it, please fork though github and do a pull request with the new code. So others can use it. Glad it helped none the less.

Ian

To anyone who visits this nowadays, there is a script that will automatically do this for you. It is located Here.

It allows a faster way to update, and it requires 1 command.

Thanks! I did find one very minor error that I opened an issue for, but it was easy to work around – after that, it worked like a charm and phpinfo(); confirms I’m on 7.0.28 now.:grinning:

$ phpbrew list

• (system)
    php-7.0.16
    php-5.6.30
    Adapt the remaining commands as appropriate i.e.

phpbrew switch php-7.0.16 phpbrew use php-7.0.16
$ php -v
PHP 7.0.16 (cli) (built: Jun 5 2017 06:03:59) ( NTS )
Copyright © 1997-2017 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright © 1998-2017

I can’t figure out why when I try to upgrade from php 5.6 to php 7 with a Wordpress install – Wordpress won’t recognize the upgrade.

I have done it before on C9 and it worked fine. But now it’s not working. WHen i do php -v it says 7 but when i do php info it says different.

Please assist. This is what worked before:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php -y
sudo apt-get update -y

sudo apt-get install php7.0-curl php7.0-cli php7.0-dev php7.0-gd php7.0-intl php7.0-mcrypt php7.0-json php7.0-mysql php7.0-opcache php7.0-bcmath php7.0-mbstring php7.0-soap php7.0-xml php7.0-zip -y

sudo mv /etc/apache2/envvars /etc/apache2/envvars.bak
sudo apt-get remove libapache2-mod-php5 -y
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php7.0 -y
sudo cp /etc/apache2/envvars.bak /etc/apache2/envvars

find out what version of php
php --version

I’m stuck at the $ phpbrew install 7.0 +default command. Returning the following error:

Error: Configure failed:
The last 5 lines in the log file:
checking for cURL in default path... not found

checking for cURL in multiarch path... not found

./configure: line 23550: curl-dir: No such file or directory

checking for cURL 7.10.5 or greater... ./configure: line 23565: curl-config: command not found

configure: error: cURL version 7.10.5 or later is required to compile php with cURL support

Please checkout the build log file for more details:
         tail /home/ubuntu/.phpbrew/build/php-7.0.30/build.log