How to upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

Hello,
Cloud9 be default provides Ubuntu 14.04 , what is the right way to upgrade to 16.04?
Also i think the cloud9 team can consider providing an option to select 16.04 too.

Thanks

@bradydowling , any thoughts on this?
Thanks

I’ve never had a need to upgrade to 16.04 so I’ve always just focussed on the packages I need and then change them as needed. If there are certain packages you need updated, I’d suggest taking care of those first.

You may be aware that running sudo apt-get upgrade will cause storage and other issues on your workspace so be careful with that.

I’m not aware of timelines or estimates on image upgrades so I can’t provide any info there.

Actually, I wanted to use mysql 5.7 (which i now have upgraded to). But i’m getting errors in viewing certain parts on phpmyadmin. I suppose cloud9 does it’s customizations which are currently disturbed. Any suggestions?

Just because you don’t have a need doesn’t mean that others do not have a need. 14.04 stack is tool old. The main question is what sort of problem I may face if I do run sudo apt-get upgrade? I agree that a option for 16.04 while creating a workspace would be nice.

Fully agree with you here. Hopefully I didn’t say anything to misconstrue that. If so, this was my mistake.

Create a new blank workspace and give it a try :slight_smile:

I understand this can be done. But, would you consider making ubuntu 16.04 as an option too?

@codemode hopefully this gives more context around my previous answers.

I need Ubuntu 17 now…

Because I always need the latest packages in my work space.

When I’m running apt-get upgrade on a new created workspace, I failed with the following error message:

zixia:~/workspace (master) $ sudo apt-get upgrade
WARNING: Running upgrade on your Cloud 9 instance will use your disk quota for package upgrades.
Each time a new workspace is created it is using very recent packages already, try just installing
the packages you require first.

Press Y to continue anyway
Y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  dbus-x11 desktop-file-utils dosfstools fuse gconf2 gdisk gvfs gvfs-common
  gvfs-daemons gvfs-libs libatasmart4 libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0
  libbonobo2-common libcanberra0 libfuse2 libgconf2-4 libgnome2-0
  libgnome2-bin libgnome2-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
  libidl-common libidl0 liborbit-2-0 liborbit2 libparted0debian1 libsecret-1-0
  libsecret-common libtdb1 libudisks2-0 libvorbisfile3 ntfs-3g parted
  policykit-1-gnome sound-theme-freedesktop udisks2
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up udev (204-5ubuntu20.24) ...
 * udev requires hotplug support, not started
   ...fail!
invoke-rc.d: initscript udev, action "restart" failed.
dpkg: error processing package udev (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of initramfs-tools:
 initramfs-tools depends on udev (>= 147~-5); however:
  Package udev is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 udev
 initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
zixia:~/workspace (master) $ 

Unfortunately the limited storage space means apt-get upgrade usually does not work and uses all the disk space, as mentioned by @bradydowling above.

As a fellow developer, I totally agree with what has been said in this topic.
Limiting us to ubuntu 14.04 (which is 3 years old) is a serious limitation, and I do not understand why Cloud 9 don’t let us create a vm with a newer version of ubuntu (at least 16.04).

For instance: I have problems installing docker, which on Google cloud (ubuntu 17) ran smoothly.

The current workspace is outdated in most regards. I’ve been a customer for several years now and it seems that the Amazon purchase coincided with a cessation of any direct upkeep.

Can we expect things to be refreshed soon?

Thank you.

ubuntu 14 is not up to date enough to install the latest R so for R relelated development, cloud9 is just not usable.
I want to do some apt get install and get R installed but the package available is R3.0.1 which is few years old and all the libraries used for development do not support such old R version.
I really hope upgrading ubuntu base image is on the plan for cloud9.

The blank server starts with Ubuntu 14.04
I found a youtube tutorial upgrading to 18.04, I would like to emulate what’s available on AWS free tier as close as possible.
But the command reboot doesn’t seem to have any effect.
What am I missing, is there a way to upgrade to 18.04 or is there a better way to match the AWS free tier environment? all the tutorials say don’t do this in production, so I just want to practice in a secure environment first without wrecking my home system. Docker and the Linux SubSystem on Windows 10 both have differences from what documentation has told me to expect in the Bionic build mostly with setting hostname and ip addresses.
sudo hostnamectl , systemd or netplan ?