How to upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

Hello,
Cloud9 be default provides Ubuntu 14.04 , what is the right way to upgrade to 16.04?
Also i think the cloud9 team can consider providing an option to select 16.04 too.

Thanks

@bradydowling , any thoughts on this?
Thanks

I’ve never had a need to upgrade to 16.04 so I’ve always just focussed on the packages I need and then change them as needed. If there are certain packages you need updated, I’d suggest taking care of those first.

You may be aware that running sudo apt-get upgrade will cause storage and other issues on your workspace so be careful with that.

I’m not aware of timelines or estimates on image upgrades so I can’t provide any info there.

Actually, I wanted to use mysql 5.7 (which i now have upgraded to). But i’m getting errors in viewing certain parts on phpmyadmin. I suppose cloud9 does it’s customizations which are currently disturbed. Any suggestions?

Just because you don’t have a need doesn’t mean that others do not have a need. 14.04 stack is tool old. The main question is what sort of problem I may face if I do run sudo apt-get upgrade? I agree that a option for 16.04 while creating a workspace would be nice.

Fully agree with you here. Hopefully I didn’t say anything to misconstrue that. If so, this was my mistake.

Create a new blank workspace and give it a try :slight_smile:

I understand this can be done. But, would you consider making ubuntu 16.04 as an option too?

@codemode hopefully this gives more context around my previous answers.

I need Ubuntu 17 now…

Because I always need the latest packages in my work space.

When I’m running apt-get upgrade on a new created workspace, I failed with the following error message:

zixia:~/workspace (master) $ sudo apt-get upgrade
WARNING: Running upgrade on your Cloud 9 instance will use your disk quota for package upgrades.
Each time a new workspace is created it is using very recent packages already, try just installing
the packages you require first.

Press Y to continue anyway
Y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  dbus-x11 desktop-file-utils dosfstools fuse gconf2 gdisk gvfs gvfs-common
  gvfs-daemons gvfs-libs libatasmart4 libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0
  libbonobo2-common libcanberra0 libfuse2 libgconf2-4 libgnome2-0
  libgnome2-bin libgnome2-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
  libidl-common libidl0 liborbit-2-0 liborbit2 libparted0debian1 libsecret-1-0
  libsecret-common libtdb1 libudisks2-0 libvorbisfile3 ntfs-3g parted
  policykit-1-gnome sound-theme-freedesktop udisks2
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up udev (204-5ubuntu20.24) ...
 * udev requires hotplug support, not started
   ...fail!
invoke-rc.d: initscript udev, action "restart" failed.
dpkg: error processing package udev (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of initramfs-tools:
 initramfs-tools depends on udev (>= 147~-5); however:
  Package udev is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 udev
 initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
zixia:~/workspace (master) $ 

Unfortunately the limited storage space means apt-get upgrade usually does not work and uses all the disk space, as mentioned by @bradydowling above.

As a fellow developer, I totally agree with what has been said in this topic.
Limiting us to ubuntu 14.04 (which is 3 years old) is a serious limitation, and I do not understand why Cloud 9 don’t let us create a vm with a newer version of ubuntu (at least 16.04).

For instance: I have problems installing docker, which on Google cloud (ubuntu 17) ran smoothly.

The current workspace is outdated in most regards. I’ve been a customer for several years now and it seems that the Amazon purchase coincided with a cessation of any direct upkeep.

Can we expect things to be refreshed soon?

Thank you.

ubuntu 14 is not up to date enough to install the latest R so for R relelated development, cloud9 is just not usable.
I want to do some apt get install and get R installed but the package available is R3.0.1 which is few years old and all the libraries used for development do not support such old R version.
I really hope upgrading ubuntu base image is on the plan for cloud9.