How to set DISPLAY in my workspace

python

Hi community,

I’m starting learning PYTHON and I want to test a piece of code that is doing some drawing.
The drawing is done by importing the ‘package’ turtle

from turtle import *

When I execute the code, I have the following error

_tkinter.TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

How can I set my DISPLAY parameter in my workspace?

Thank you

Is there any way to run OpenGL C programs?
Can Cloud9 handle C++ GUI windows
Unknown error getting api
Selenium rspec capybara

This looks like it’s the same situation as what’s happening here.

Thanks Brady,

Actually my question is more "do we have a X-server running in our VM?"
Because no matter if you set your DISPLAY parameter, if no X-Server is running, it won’t work.

In my case, I test with
export DISPLAY=:0.0 export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

But both failed.

Simon

There is no X server on here. At present, there is no way to forward X output to a display.

There have been people who have installed an are running an X server and are using a web based VNC client as the display. It seems to work well for those people.

Thanks all,

This is what I thought (no X-Server installed).

Anyway it’s not a big deal, it was just to test a piece of code.

Thanks

Note that you have sudo rights, so you can install anything using sudo apt-get install.

All members of Cloud9 Team are great when it comes to help.
https://github.com/fjakobs/cloud9-vnc
You can play with this, it works great.
Inside NoVnc, you can start a terminal, and run python yourfile.py without having to set DISPLAY.
:wink:

Running Java in Cloud9IDE?
Unable to launch firefox

So cool, I never knew about that!

Hi Etienne,

Thanks for your message, it looks very interesting.
I downloaded the package and installed it, so far so good.

Now I’m a bit lost, I don’t know how to start it and run a test.

So I started it from my console and it looks good
fipnova51:~/workspace/cloud9-vnc-master $ supervisord -c supervisord.conf 2016-02-10 10:51:24,016 INFO supervisord started with pid 706 2016-02-10 10:51:25,019 INFO spawned: 'novnc' with pid 709 2016-02-10 10:51:25,022 INFO spawned: 'xvfb' with pid 710 2016-02-10 10:51:25,025 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 711 2016-02-10 10:51:25,029 INFO spawned: 'fluxbox' with pid 712 2016-02-10 10:51:26,109 INFO success: novnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs) 2016-02-10 10:51:26,109 INFO success: xvfb entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs) 2016-02-10 10:51:26,109 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs) 2016-02-10 10:51:26,110 INFO success: fluxbox entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)

Now if I tested it by launching a xterm, it does not show
fipnova51:~/workspace/cloud9-vnc-master $ export DISPLAY=:99 fipnova51:~/workspace/cloud9-vnc-master $ xterm

Am I missing anything?

thanks

You don’t need to type these lines

Just type sh ./run.sh inside Cloud9 terminal (same as supervisord -c supervisord.conf, but shorter), then head to your application URL.
An instance of NoVNC will be ready to connect to your just-spawned X environment.
Inside NoVNC, right-click, select Applications/Shell/Bash, and you are ready to type your commands from there.
:slightly_smiling:

EDIT: You may need to tweak a bit run.sh by adjusting the path of supervisord.conf file.

FYI I’m also working on making this a plugin that installs in a single command and allows you to use view > desktop > open desktop in new tab

No timeline on when this will be done.

You’re doing good work and a lot of plugins for c9 IDE. I’m impressed !

I really enjoy doing it! I’ve got a couple of incognito plugins I’m working on that I haven’t even told @bradydowling about, haha!

I have finished the plugin but have some more testing to do.

Finished Plugin.

Sorry for the double post but wanted to notify everyone on here that I finished making this a plugin that is very simple to use.

You can find it here: https://github.com/shadowcodex/c9.ide.desktop

Enjoy!
Shannon

Nice work ! Already enjoying it :smiley:
Thanks !

Hi
I have following error while installing c9.ide.desktop.
`
Setting up python-meld3 (0.6.10-1) …
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/pycompile”, line 35, in
from debpython.version import SUPPORTED, debsorted, vrepr,
File “/usr/share/python/debpython/version.py”, line 24, in
from ConfigParser import SafeConfigParser
ImportError: No module named 'ConfigParser’
dpkg: error processing package python-meld3 (–configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of supervisor:
supervisor depends on python-meld3; however:
Package python-meld3 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package supervisor (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
python-meld3
supervisor
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Failed Ubuntu. Exit code 100

One or more errors occured. Please try to resolve them and try again or contact support@c9.io.
Error Installing Package c9.ide.desktop@1.0.0`

I am unable to find out what is wrong. Please help

Thanks

Any idea why I wouldn’t be able to run a desktop using the plugin? I’m getting this error: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwPzCEOJw0myUG5sY0pENHYxc00.

I’ve installed the plugin using the steps provided on the Github page, but for some reason it’s not opening. Do I have to install a server of some kind too?

@shadowcodex If I remember correctly, a path in supervisord.conf is not set correctly.
There were some pull requests that solved the problem on the original repo (owner was @fjakobs) but the repo was removed from GitHub.

The error was fixed with “sudo apt-get install websockify”

However, now I’m having an issue where I can’t use the mouse to actually do anything within the window. The mouse pointer simply disappears when I move my mouse into the window.