How to serve static files?

Super new to web development, so please forgive the stupidity of this question.

I need to serve the contents of a directory called ‘public’ for a site I’m building. Standard stuff in it, just CSS right now actually.

I’m using node and express. I have the ‘serve-static’ and ‘path’ modules (which are necessary for this…?), and it seems like I’m using them correctly. But the styles aren’t being applied. At this juncture I don’t know if it’s because the directory isn’t being served or (more embarrassingly) because I have the file path wrong.

This is how I’m attempting to serve the folder in my app.js:

var serveStatic = require(‘serve-static’);
var path = require(‘path’);
app.use(serveStatic(path.join(__dirname, ‘public’)));

This is how I’m attempting to include it in a header ejs file:

< link rel=“stylesheet” type="/public/styles/landing.css" >

Thanks in advance. I’m loving C9 so far.

The default config for apache will serve up any files under ~/workspace. This can be adjusted by changing the directory paths in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/001-cloud9.conf.

You can start the server with services apache2 start

Simples. :slight_smile:

I probably should’ve explained that I’m using MongoDB with Mongoose. Thank you though.

Forgive me, I didn’t read the whole post. just saw that you was wanting to host static files.

I noticed that you’re trying to host a “public” folder. I also notice that you included this folder in the stylesheet path. I just wanna mention that for whatever folder you pick as the root of the web server, it is at that point you need to reference the files. Remove the /public bit from the header file and you should find that the styles work.

Cheers.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond. Sorry it took me so long to answer - I was away for work. I’ll try what you suggested today.