How to resolve read-only workspace

I started off on the free plan but upgraded to Educator, so that my students could create workspaces. Today I just learned that my private workspace is read-only because my account has run out of quota for this type of workspace. I clicked through to the subscription page, and it shows me just on the free plan (see screenshot).

• why is the plan not shown correctly?
  • how can I delete excessive stuff in the private workspace? I can’t get to a shell, so I can’t use c9-du. I can’t follow the directions here: https://docs.c9.io/v1.0/docs/workspace-resizing because that display isn’t there
  • Do I need to upgrade to Individual in order to fix my workspace?
  • If I upgrade my account to Individual, can I go back down to Free once my resource usage decreases?
  • why are resource limits not described anywhere in the C9 documentation?

Thanks,

Scott

I upgraded to Individual so I could resolve the problem. I now can open the workspace and talk to a shell:

• du-c9 reports 18MB.
  • The performance stats panel at the upper right reports 22MB/2048MB.
  • A download of the entire workspace produces a 5.4MB .zip file.

Given all that, how is it possible that my workspace was marked Read-Only because of quota issues? I thought the limit was 2GB. It appears that the workspace is well below that. I don’t understand.

Thanks for your help,

Scott

The pricing page shows your individual plan. Since you can have several teams or educational teams, those buttons say “Add this plan” and not “Upgrade now”. This needs work to be completely clear still but this is at least the goal with that wording.

As for the read-only workspace, this is related to a bug where students were able to create extra private workspaces or workspaces with more than 512mb of RAM or 2gb of disk.

Your actual disk usage in du-c9 and the other metrics you mentioned are not related here, only the resources allotted to the workspace.

When students did that, it put admins over the limit for their plan, causing them to be read-only. Students can no longer create or resize workspaces to go beyond their resources but some admins are still affected by actions taken a while ago by students. If you find yourself in this situation, email support@c9.io and reference this thread so we can help you out.

If you have a read-only workspace and it is not related to this educational situation then you likely need to sign up for a premium individual plan to access your premium resources once again :slight_smile:

First, thanks for your quick and helpful reply. So, if I understand correctly, at least one of my students either (1) created more than one private workspace or (2) created a workspace over the limits 512MB of RAM or 2GB of disk. I just looked at all 22 members of my team, and I didn’t see that anyone had more than 1 private workspace. (I asked them to create those for assignments.) Violating the second limit seems unlikely, too, since they just created these workspaces this week, and have barely begun using them. There’s some stuff they might have uploaded from our textbook authors, but that’s only a 7MB zip file.

Is there any way to track down where the problem comes from?

I also don’t understand your sentence about “but some admins are still affected by actions taken a while ago by students”. I think that means that if a student creates a violation (two private workspaces, say) her workspace turns read-only but so does mine, since her plan derives from mine. Is that right?

It’s worrisome that an error, inadvertent or otherwise, by a student could paralyze my workspaces. Could it affect other students?

I just upgraded to an Individual plan. Does that insulate me from all of these problems?

Thanks,

Scott

Let’s move forward with this bit from my post :slight_smile:

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the confusion here. I’ll try to answer all your questions here:

Given all that, how is it possible that my workspace was marked Read-Only because of quota issues? I thought the limit was 2GB. It appears that the workspace is well below that. I don’t understand.

Quotas are the amount of RAM, Disk, Private workspaces that you can create. Once created, we don’t look at how much you’re actually using them. Just how much was reserved.

For example, if you are on a free plan, but have a workspace that was resized to 2GB RAM and 10GB Disk, it will become read-only, even if it’s using no RAM and no Disk on the workspace.

It’s worrisome that an error, inadvertent or otherwise, by a student could paralyze my workspaces. Could it affect other students?

I think we have safe guards against issues like these, but it can happen due to some edge case that we may not have guarded against. Also, I think mostly it affects the students’ themselves, not the rest of the team.

Since the issue with your account was related to a personal workspace of yours, and not part of the team, that’s unrelated to the problem at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mutahhir

Thanks for your help.