How to build Android native Apps from scratch with c9?

android

Hi! I’m a front-end developer who wants to start building mobile apps and my first goal is to do it for android devices, then to IOS ones.

I saw the C9´s blog post in which they explain how to set up a Google Cloud Plattform workspace. So, I was wondering how easier it would be to start an Android Native App just by writing a sentence on a c9 project’s terminal, write some code and, with another sentence at the same terminal, make the app available on Play Store to test and spread to the world. Wouldn’t it?

About Mobile Apps Development I do know two things:

1. Native Apps are smooth and faster than Phone Gap ones. So, I don’t want to start from the second one.

2. Java is the Android Native App language. Although I think this is the same java owned by oracle, I’m not so sure about that.

I think it’s a very interest proposal to your tool @mutahhir and @bradydowling.

Please, let me know your views about this! Tips and advice about start to build mobile apps are welcome too!

It would definitely be possible, but you’d need to do a few things first. For one, there’s no GUI for viewing things like Android Apps, so you’d need to use something like cloud9-vnc to view a desktop environment, with the Android Device Emulator or something similar. Alternatively, yes, you could test it through the play store, but you’d need to find a way to upload to the play store from the command line (I believe there are a few CLIs out there that can do this for you). If I’m going to be honest, developing Android apps on Cloud9 is quite possible, but may require you to create some hacky solutions, may be frustrating to test, and you will be missing out on other valuable tools like the ones offered in Android Studio, which is designed specifically for Android development. That said, I would encourage you to try, see whether Cloud9 is up to the task, and come back here with your experience. I’d be interested to see how well it works.

You are right @dannytech, I took a short look at Android Studio today and the way cloud9 is today it is not possible to do so. Too dramatic workflow…

But I continue thinking it is an interesting proposal for cloud9 future, don’t you?

Cloud9 is pure freedom! Congrats to the team!

Cloud9 is an amazing platform not because it supports Android natively but simply because it’s possible to support it. I agree that this is something that could be developed more, but there are many more options as well, so I really hope that Cloud9 and the communtity of developers will be able to build an environment that is designed for anyone doing any type of development!