Folder tree arrow: have it point down even if folder is empty

When you have an empty folder and you click the right-facing arrow on the file tree, the right-facing arrow disappears. If there is content in the folder, the right-facing arrow turns into a down-facing arrow. This makes it so there is no visual cue confirming that you have opened an empty file.

Since I expected the arrow to turn into a down arrow, I knew that some unexpected behavior had occurred… and I reasoned wrongly (since I thought the contents I was viewing were already in the empty file!) that the listed files were already being shown despite being in the folder, rather than that the down arrow was failing to be shown when it was clicked.

I know it’s silly, but if there is ever a time when you need a visual cue that a folder has been opened when it was previously closed, it’s exactly when the folder is empty. If you have files in the folder, it should be easy to note the change when you toggle it from open to close.

I find it to work out well for me. It behaves much like how the linux file browser does and maybe the windows one. Empty folders don’t even get an arrow, well in some parts of it. It’s weird. I thought that by the editor highlighting a folder that you selected was a good indication, if the folder is empty, why should it indicate that it’s not? I would find that to be confusing. If a folder is empty, there would be nothing to drop down so no arrows get applied until a file is added.

My thoughts anyway.

It would actually be an improvement if there were no arrow on an empty folder; that would distinguish between an empty folder and a bug of some kind.

if the folder is empty, why should it indicate that it’s not?

I think there must be a misunderstanding, because I did not suggest that it should indicate a folder is empty when it’s not.

I would expect a consistent behavior from the arrows next to folders. Why should the arrow do one thing when you open a full folder, and the same arrow just disappear when you open an empty folder?

I had assumed the state of my file tree was “remembered” by the IDE, and that the arrow was buggy…

Let me illustrate. (Edit: I can’t quite figure out how to get the formatting right, which is kind of a big deal on this. Sorry!)

AFter a long hiatus, I restored my desktop to find this:

\/[cs50]
      >[pset1]
        mario
        mario.c
        water
        water.c

Now, I thought that all of my files were in pset1, but from this arrangment, it didn’t seem that they were.

So I clicked pset1 to find it’s contents, expecting this:

\/[cs50]
     \/[pset1]
           somefile
           somefile.c
        mario
        mario.c
        water
        water.c

If it was empty, I would have expected the behavior you might see in Windows:

\/[cs50]
 \/[pset1]
    mario
    mario.c
    water
    water.c

or

\/[cs50]
 \/[pset1]
   |_____
    mario
    mario.c
    water
    water.c**

or even

\/[cs50]
 \/[pset1]
 mario
 mario.c
 water
 water.c**

Instead, I got

\/[cs50]
   [pset1]
    mario
    mario.c
    water
    water.c

This makes it look like “oh, I had the folder open all along, it just didn’t refresh or something… I mean clearly the arrow is not working, so something must be goofed up.”