Error parsing command line: unknown option small try 'mongod --help' for more information

nodejs
mongodb

I started up a fresh nodejs install and attempted to start mongod but am unable to and keep receiving the following error:

Error parsing command line: unknown option small
try ‘mongod --help’ for more information

In the past i have never had to do anything except run the “mongod” command to turn it on, or --nojournal if i didnt have the space.

Now I am getting the above error and none of the documentation seems to provide a solution. I don’t understand what is different from the number of times i have started up mongod simply by running the command?

EDIT:
I did not follow the rules and ignored the “./” of the last step given by documentation so running ./mongod worked instantly, wasted 3.5 hours on this.

Questions still why did this change, i did not have to take these steps previously.

There is an incorrect alias in your .bashrc that made it in to our image. It will be fixed shortly and new workspaces won’t have it. If you remove the mongod alias in there it would also fix your issue.

I’m having the same problem as stated earlier in this forum discussion. How do I change my .bashrc or remove the mongod alias? Thanks.

@bleujai, you’ll have to open up ~/.bash_aliases (I did it with vim/nano). You’ll see a line that says:

alias mongod="mongod --bind_ip=$IP --small --rest '$@'"

Delete it then restart your workspace. Then you can do:

mongod --bind_ip=$IP --nojournal

and it will work as described in the official docs. Alternatively, you can follow these directions, but this is kind of a hack.

@justin8, when do you think you’ll have a fix in so that mongod can be used as described here: