Education Plan FAQs

education
team

Okay! The glossary did explain it, but it’s still in use on the page that asks you to create a team before purchasing the education plan. Here’s a screenshot. Thanks for your response!

split this topic #9

A post was merged into an existing topic: Invite team users via an API

On C9 landing page, the pricing “tab” shows that the education plan offer public workspaces, but the education plan tab informs “unlimited community workspaces” as a characteristic of this plan.

Also, i`m finding really difficult to get info on the characteristic of the workspaces that will be available to students. To the stack used for the course (funny enough, we use the haskell stack with yesod) both memory and disk quota are important, but finding info about that is not easy, and those characteristics are changin over time (at least for free accounts), so any info is welcome!

This FAQ should include this:
Students can clone each team-member (other students & teacher) workspaces (even if they are private!)
If you are fine with them cloning each others workspace (or yours), basically leading to fraud when giving them assignments then this thing is not for you. I hope they will include some sort of feature to turn this on/off because I love using Cloud9 but this definitely kills it for me.

-Teacher CS

I can’t answer with any authority, but I can share my observation.

It appears that every workspace I create has 1CPU, 512MB RAM, 2GB HDD.

Indeed, public/community workspaces have 512mb of ram and 2gb of disk space. See also the Community Workspace definition in the Glossary of Terms.

Thanks for the note and the feedback. I’ve added a note in related topics that should help out with this.

I created a separate thread on this topic a week or so ago. I’m very keen on using Cloud9 for our online courses but the lack of security controls on cloning private workspaces isn’t acceptable.

Is this something that is a bug or is it intended behaviour? Thanks.

Prevent team members of an educational team from being able to copy private workspaces

This is intended behavior across all team accounts, education falling into that umbrella.

split this topic #17

A post was split to a new topic: Can’t add team members

Please can we have a yearly billing option for education, I’m paying from my own pocket and $1 a month would be fine, but my bank is charging that again in currency exchange fees.

Is it possible to run cron jobs from student accounts, or will they become inactive and shut off after 2 hours?

Unfortunately, only the premium plan allows for workspaces that stay on indefinitely (they have 3 Hot Workspaces), so while it’s possible to set cron jobs up, your workspaces will indeed become inactive and shut down, preventing jobs from running.

Deleting student workspaces

Apologies if this is answered somewhere but I haven’t been able to find it.

I started using the Cloud 9 education plan for a computer science high school class last year, and am hoping to use the same subscription again this year with new students. Is there a way for me to delete the workspaces of students who took the class last year? In addition, during the class we had one student who accidentally created 3 workspaces. Is there a way for me as admin to delete the extra ones without removing him as a student?

Thanks

Hi…now i have a free account and had a private workspace, i need to clone my workspace, so if i purchased the student plans will i have total 2 private workspace???

The Education plan does not add any Private workspaces to your account. It gives you the ability to create other accounts which would have 1 Private workspace each, and if you are not using the plan as intended, it’s possible Cloud9 may ban your account.

Is there a way to use SSH workspaces with the educational account so students do not need a credit card? If I obtained a ‘Team Plan’, would it extend to my student organization? This would be a GREAT way to teach CUDA in my classroom using my own CUDA machine.

Will the c9 education plan remain the same with the new AWS announcement? I saw this https://c9.io/announcement_edu but I just want to make sure that as an educator, I can continue paying $1/month for unlimited student invites. I just don’t want there to be any surprises that force us to have to find a new browser IDE.

Also, I coach teachers at other schools; is there a way for them to still sign up for c9 legacy and get the same Education plan for their students? image

The legacy education plan will remain as-is for the life of legacy Cloud9; you will be able to invite users and create new Education teams as long as you have a Cloud9 account. You can check our education announcement here: https://c9.io/announcement_edu

this is not 100% clear. How long will legacy cloud 9 go for? What happens once we are migrated to AWS?