Education Plan FAQs

education
team

While the Cloud9 education plan doesn’t provide extra premium resources, it does allow teachers and instructors to get their students onto Cloud9 quickly and without the need for a credit card. Read on for details.

For the initial explanation of the Education Plan, see the Cloud9 for Education blog post.

Who is this plan for?

Users teaching online courses, summer camps, high schools, elementary schools, and trainings.

What are the main advantages of this plan?

• $1 per month charge, no matter how many students you have
  • Students that are invited to your team will not be required to provide a credit card upon signup
  • Upon signup, students are a member of your education team, while keeping their own individual free account

How can I add students to my team?

Go to https://c9.io/team/<yourteamname>/manage and then add your students by their email address.

I have lots of students. How can I add them faster?

Students must be added using the form on the page mentioned above. If you’d like to speed up the process, you may add other teachers or teaching assistants as admins to the team and then they can also invite students.

I already have a pro individual account. How can I have both?

With the Education plan being a type of team plan, it will stand separate from your individual plan, so you won’t “upgrade” or “downgrade” any other plan to get it (unless of course you choose to).

With the education plan, will my students need a credit card to signup?

No. You will enter their email address into the team member invite page and then they’ll be sent a link where they can join Cloud9 without a credit card.

Is there a limit on how many students I can add?

No. You can add as many students to your team as you’d like to.

What if I have X number of students, how much will I be charged?

Only $1 per month. We’re serious. You can add as many students as you’d like.

Can I pay on a yearly basis?

Team plans, including the education plan, are all charged on a monthly basis and only on a monthly basis.

What happens to my students after the class is over?

If you cancel your plan or remove students from your team, their individual accounts will remain intact. For this reason, it’s important for students to note the options for workspace ownership when going through the workspace creation process.

If the workspace is something that will be used after the class is over, the student will want to choose themselves as the workspace owner. If the workspace will only be used while the student is a member of your Cloud9 team plan, the student will want to choose your team as the workspace owner. By default, the team is the owner of the workspace.

Where is the university plan? Does this replace it?

Yes. We’ve replaced the former University plan and the former School plan with this Education plan.

Related topics

Educational account does not have SSH access?
Question about the student/teacher account
Credit Card Required for Free Account
Question about the student/teacher account
Upgrade RAM speed! customized plan
Classroom setup
Credit Card Required for Free Account

Users teaching online courses, summer camps, high schools, elementary schools, and trainings.
(emphasis mine)

As mentioned in my previous post, I run a meetup and we’ve got just under an hour to cover whatever topic it is that we’re covering for the month. The ease of having them log in with their github account (which most have already) was seamless, fast, and didn’t drastically distract from our very short time to cover an actual coding topic.

Students must be added using the form on the page mentioned above.

If I had to manually sign-up 30-60 people … well, quite honestly, I don’t have the time to do that for an hour-long training, even if I have other people acting as teaching assistance, it’s a waste of time.

Sadly, this continues to prevent our continued usage and recommendation of C9.

Since my previous post, I’ve been hired to teach at a bootcamp. Because of this issue, when we discussed cloud IDE services I could not in good conscious recommend C9.

educational account does not have SSH access?

No, the education plan does not provide any SSH workspaces. This is a feature available on the premium individual plan and premium team plan.

The education plan offers unlimited community workspaces. Would someone mind clarifying some of the details of the community workspace? Is it the same as a public workspace?

The Cloud9 glossary of terms should explain that. Could you let me know where you are seeing a reference to community workspaces? It probably should be updated :slight_smile:

This semester I will be using Cloud9 for a class of 60. I can bite the bullet and do all of them individually. But next semester we will have 300 students using the platform. A way to bulk invite students would be a HUGE time saver and benefit to us.

Okay! The glossary did explain it, but it’s still in use on the page that asks you to create a team before purchasing the education plan. Here’s a screenshot. Thanks for your response!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Invite team users via an API

On C9 landing page, the pricing “tab” shows that the education plan offer public workspaces, but the education plan tab informs “unlimited community workspaces” as a characteristic of this plan.

Also, i`m finding really difficult to get info on the characteristic of the workspaces that will be available to students. To the stack used for the course (funny enough, we use the haskell stack with yesod) both memory and disk quota are important, but finding info about that is not easy, and those characteristics are changin over time (at least for free accounts), so any info is welcome!

This FAQ should include this:
Students can clone each team-member (other students & teacher) workspaces (even if they are private!)
If you are fine with them cloning each others workspace (or yours), basically leading to fraud when giving them assignments then this thing is not for you. I hope they will include some sort of feature to turn this on/off because I love using Cloud9 but this definitely kills it for me.

-Teacher CS

I can’t answer with any authority, but I can share my observation.

It appears that every workspace I create has 1CPU, 512MB RAM, 2GB HDD.

Indeed, public/community workspaces have 512mb of ram and 2gb of disk space. See also the Community Workspace definition in the Glossary of Terms.

Thanks for the note and the feedback. I’ve added a note in related topics that should help out with this.

I created a separate thread on this topic a week or so ago. I’m very keen on using Cloud9 for our online courses but the lack of security controls on cloning private workspaces isn’t acceptable.

Is this something that is a bug or is it intended behaviour? Thanks.

Prevent team members of an educational team from being able to copy private workspaces

This is intended behavior across all team accounts, education falling into that umbrella.

A post was split to a new topic: Can’t add team members

Please can we have a yearly billing option for education, I’m paying from my own pocket and $1 a month would be fine, but my bank is charging that again in currency exchange fees.

Is it possible to run cron jobs from student accounts, or will they become inactive and shut off after 2 hours?

Unfortunately, only the premium plan allows for workspaces that stay on indefinitely (they have 3 Hot Workspaces), so while it’s possible to set cron jobs up, your workspaces will indeed become inactive and shut down, preventing jobs from running.