Disable download Option

Can we disable Download option on my project so my team members can only edit / upload / Delete files but cannot download them or the whole project. is that possible?

As far as I’m aware it’s currently not possible. I can’t help but wonder why you would want that? Even if it was disabled, they could simply copy the contents from each file and would effectively have downloaded it, or could use the terminal to package it and upload it to a server.

The reason behind it is when I share my project with my developers for work, they prefer to download it and work on their localhost and upload it again. I want them to work on c9 environment only but even if I forced them to use c9, I cannot keep watch on them 24/7. If its not possible to disable download option, is their any way to keep log of what files have been downloaded by which user?

there is file history, which shows who edited a file and when. https://docs.c9.io/docs/file-revision-history

@harutyun if I’m not mistaken, file revision history won’t handle this use case.

i mean with file history it is possible to see if someone have used cloud9 to edit, or replaced the whole file in one go, but of course people can find various workarounds for that too, because they have full access to everything on the vm via commandline

Some companies may like to track whether a project download has happened, for auditing / security / legal reasons. Or better still, disable it altogether. It is a deal-breaker without such a feature.

If we download the entire project, the file revision history does not show that.

(Yes, you can scp, rsync etc etc to do the same thing, but all these actions can be logged.)

What can be done? Write a plugin? @harutyun @bradydowling

It seems that download is a plugin and I managed to disable it.

The question is: how can we track whether the plugin has been re-enabled? @harutyun @bradydowling

how can we track whether the plugin has been re-enabled?

that depends on how do you disable it.

(Yes, you can scp, rsync etc etc to do the same thing, but all these actions can be logged.)

you can also create zip archive of whole workspace, and then use preview to get it, or write a simple node server and download everything from it.
Things like this can’t be logged, and any logging you add can be disabled, because others have sudo access too.

I would also really like this feature. I hire freelancers online which help me with my projects on C9. I just don’t the idea that they’re downloading the whole project.

Would be really helpful to have an option to disable the downloading of the project root and subfolders. Downloading from the command line would take a lot more effort compared to hitting two mouse clicks currently.