Default Cloud9 IDE User on BeagleBone

Does anyone know how to set the default IDE user? The BeagleBone community hasn’t responded with an answer so I am reposting the question here.

The current OS release is Debian 4.1.12-ti-r29. The Cloud9 IDE is installed by default, but it opens the shell as root. Short of uninstalling the IDE can the default user be changed?

I saw this, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28822695/change-the-username-and-add-a-password-for-cloud9-in-the-beaglebone-black but after changing:

.describe(“auth”, “Basic Auth username:password”)

to

.describe(“auth”, “debian:temppwd”)

and rebooting, the Cloud9 bash prompt is still “root@beaglebone:~# .”

Hi Paul,

Thank you for writing in. I’m not sure how much we can help here as the BeagleBone version of Cloud9 is different from the current hosted Cloud9 IDE (c9.io) and isn’t supported by us. The best way forward would be to continue asking the BeagleBone Community for help. I’m going to leave the question open here for a while, in case someone in this community knows something about what you’re asking.

Have a great day and happy coding!

Regards,
​Mutahhir

Hi Mutahhir,

There is a compelling reason reason to have asynchronous I/O on a development embedded computer. Node.js (and BoneScript) handle this well enough. Somewhere in the history of this open source project, someone decided that having a full IDE running on the board was a good idea. At this point the BeagleBone Community hasn’t replied. Much of what I see on their dev boards is classical bit banging and polling which is sort of a waste of the machine.

I’ve just turned Cloud9 off, I can run it on other machines on the network.

Thanks for your reply and kind regards,
Paul

Teminals in cloud9 run bash -l so they will be logged in as the same user which have launched the server.js.
See https://github.com/c9/core/blob/6cc153e712c64ef8326c195d27a2c224f84429c6/node_modules/vfs-local/localfs.js#L1817
You could either modify that file to run a different command, or modify the script that launches the server.js, to launch it from the user you want.