Credit Card Required for Free Account

A post was split to a new topic: Processor declined

I’m wanting to use the free plan as a hobbyist, but I don’t have a credit card, nor phone so I can’t verify with either of those. I’m not a student, so I can’t do a education plan. Are there any alternatives?

Thanks for the reply, I signed up for the new plan.

Greeting,

I also found this annoying. And it’s not because I don’t have credit card (I have one though), but because I don’t want to submit my card online.

As hackers now days can access almost anything, I’m not quite sure if it’s safe to give my card out to non-top-tier companies (Top-Tier: Google, Paypal, Amazon etc).

Could you guys please make another way to verify your user please? like maybe Paypal or something, not card directly.

Cloud9 is actually part of the Amazon Web Services family, and takes great care with your details. That said, it is generally bad practice to handle credit card data, and I also disagree with this method of verification.

i think you can use a prepaid credit card.
you can use it for 1/2 months before you can’t use it any more.
It normaly costs only 1 euro without the credit that you whant to put on it

A few friends I know recommend I sign up here, but I don’t have a credit card I can use to sign up.
I don’t understand why you won’t use SMS verification. I would be amazed if there was anyone who wanted to sign up for this site who has a Credit Card but not a phone. As it is, it is very hard to create an email address for anyone under 12, so by requiring an email you have essentially stopped non-educational use of the website to people under the age of 12 anyway.
However, any adult with a child that wants to sign up would doubtless have a phone which can receive text messages. It would be trivial to store the phone number that was used to create the account and forbid other accounts to be set up with that phone number.

But here’s the real advantage. A student’s parent would have not issue entering a phone number to receive a single verification text. But even if I had a credit card, I wouldn’t enter it on your website.
And telling me “we don’t store credit cards,” we let some other company (who has no vested interest in the security of my data) store your data doesn’t help. Very few people would try to hack into a cloud IDE company to steal credit card info, and it’s unlikely that a company who makes money off of a subscription IDE would start selling credit card numbers. One the other hand, a company whose sole purpose is storing hundreds of thousands of credit cards for other companies, is probably maliciously attacked by hackers every other day. And such a compandy is probably bombarded with offers of money in exchange for the data of some else’s customers.

On the other hand, SMS brings in no other company, doesn’t store sensitive user information, and would get you a ton more users. I haven’t even gotten into how few people have credit cards when compared with the number of people who have phones, because the underlying issue is the security.

And no, buying a prepaid card or setting up credit card or buying an education plan is not a solution.

-Another lost user.

Our only problem to us among students that likes to use your services, is some of us doesn’t have a Credit card, Although I understand that you want to increase your security. IMHO you should have another way to verify their accounts without requiring a credit card as verification at all.

Hi there,

I am facing the same problem. I input my credit card details, and the decline message appear.
I am unable to create the Cloud9 IDE account. I need to use this free account. I am a student.

Can the administrator help me out please?

Thanks

Yes this is really annoying. I’ve been using c9 for a long time and recommend it to my friends, but many high school students don’t have credit cards and it’s not possible for them to make an account.

I think I’m in the same boat as a lot of the others here. Cloud9 was an excellent program and I was planning to use it to teach one of my younger siblings some javascript, and then they ran into the credit card wall. The clear nonsense answer of ‘needing to verify identity’ (when email and captcha are perfectly serviceable for most of the internet) coupled with the persistent pushing of the paid accounts means I don’t think I can use it in good conscience. There is a smart way to do freemium, and this isn’t it.

I just wanted to point out that this is the top post in the entire community, and has been for a very long time. It has over 100 replies, and each post provides the same request, from people who are affected. Yes, Cloud9 has taken steps to solve it in some cases, such as creating the education plan for classes, but this by no stretch of the imagination works for everyone. I’ve been part of the community since before the feature was implemented and since this thread started, so the feature doesn’t affect me, but I’ve seen post after post after post of frustrated users and people who can’t become users because of this feature. I want to just ask Cloud9 to evaluate whether the credit card solution was actually effective and worth the frustration of users, because it is indeed a bad user experience, and also a security risk, as handling sensitive data unnecessarily is basically Rule #1 in the list of things NOT to do. I’m sure there are many more people who have turned away from this great product, simply because it’s out of reach. Yes, Cloud9 continues to concentrate on other, technical aspects of the product, and as a long-time daily user of Cloud9, I appreciate that, but other people don’t and can’t appreciate and use it, due to this limitation. There are plenty of good suggestions above, and I ask Cloud9 to please pay attention to them, so that this irreplaceable service will be more accessible and so that this thread will be a memory in the past, rather than a continuous top 1-sided conversation. This community is a place for feedback, and this is feedback, please listen.

Thank you for Cloud9, but for everyone’s sake, please, please, do something.

- dhellstern

I am a software developer and medical informatics director interested in learning more about Cloud9. Putting a credit card moat around this experience seems stunningly self-defeating. There is no way I’m going to submit a credit number just for the chance to take a test drive, especially when there are several other suitable and lower-risk mechanisms by which you can ensure the legitimacy of a would-be user.

If you don’t want people to make multiple accounts as a way to have unlimited private repositories, why not just require credit card information for private repositories, rather than requiring credit card information for creating any type of account? To think that having this wall up won’t have an impact on the number of people signing up for Cloud 9 is a bizarre conclusion to make.

Credit card verification is an unusual solution to preventing DDOS attacks and other bot attacks. Captcha is typically used for that. I’m also really not sure how credit card number verification gives you time to make the IDE better.

I want to sign up, but I can’t trust that you won’t charge me while I’m trying out the service for the fist time.

Absolutely! I am following a tutorial series on full stack dev and in the video he uses cloud9 so I thought to try it as well. I’m shocked that there is a credit-card requirement for authentication. What a bizarre choice when there are so many other options. Later cloud9 - not likely to be back.

While I still do not support the decision to use a credit card as a method of verification, for those that are worried about privacy/security and are not willing to share credit card information, there are some easy solutions.

1. You can buy prepaid cards at various locations with credit card numbers that will allow the verification to pass.
  2. Some cards allow you to create virtual cards that can have a set spending limit and allow only a one-time transaction. Using a service like ShopSafe, for instance, you could create a card with a $1 spending limit and a single use (Cloud9 sometimes places a $1 card hold, so that configuration should work.
  3. If you don’t have a card from a bank that supports virtual cards, you can use a service like Pay by Privacy, which connects to your bank account and allows you to create a single-use card for Cloud9, similar to the aforementioned built in features at some banks.

Unfortunately, if you do not have a card, or are still dubious about the security, there’s not much you can do. If you’re a student, grab a prepaid card, and it should be enough, but again, I agree that the credit card requirement isn’t the best path for verification.

I understand your point but:

• credit cards are unsafe
  • for many people/businesses in many countries unnecessary
  • and let’s face it old (fin)technology

Why not offer alternative payment methods?

The reason quite obvious …

pay attention to the acquisition day

End of story.

I still remember my tutor teach me about node js in c9.io.
However, it becomes not train friendly anymore.

haha

SOrry SIr
i dont need to education paln thank yo u sir