Cloud9 on chromebooks

workspace

Has anyone run into the website and work space not rendering correctly? I’m at a school trying to trouble shoot this problem for my class and am wondering if it is a chromebook issue or a network issue. It currently just shows the straight up HTML instead of the pretty interface(or anything in the workspace). I’m currently working on getting the chrome apt unlocked on the network to see if that works.

i have used c9 in schools as well as configured a couple school networks in the past. Without more info it is hard to say for sure but it sounds like some latency on the network to me. when I see the html, without css there is usually some bad latency happening. have you reported it to your school IT team? they can probably help.

1 - can you test the same cb on a different network? perhaps a hotspot from your phone?
2 - can you test a different chrome book on the same network? same or different?
3 - are you using the c9 app or direct on the website? try the other way whichever you’re doing.

sounds like the css was not loaded somewhy
In addition to the things suggested by @rfair404
try clearing browser cache, or appending ?reset=state to the url (that will reset open tabs too)

Thank you for your suggestions,

I have narrowed it down to the “Student Accounts” on the school network. Everything worked for me and a phone on the network, but the java script used on the page was blocked on the network for just the students. So hopefully the IT dept will be willing to spend the 2 minutes to unblocked what I found and it will ‘magically’ work.

Thanks again.

For the future:

• Clear the cache
  • Try a different computer in the network
  • If that works, its def the original computer, but may still be the network
  • Check if there a difference in accounts between your computer and the chromebook
  • Check if java script is being blocked(sort of like NoScript is running but you totally forgot)

Sorry if a bit off-topic, but any comments/reviews about the chromebook(s)?

I won’t be able to truly evaluate them until I get my students up and running on them, which will be next week. I think Cloud9 will work wonderfully for them. I have high hopes. As for the chromebooks, I think highly of them for most general computing.

I’ve spent some time using cloud 9 on Chromebooks, as have some others here at work. Generally it works fine, but with the following caveat. Cloud 9 is a large, heavy client-side web application. It asks a lot of your browser. We’ve found good results on reasonably powerful Chromebooks which have at least 4GB of RAM, and something other than the very slowest CPUs. On low-end Chromebooks with only 2GB of RAM, it has been disappointing, though marginally workable if you don’t open much else (in other tabs).

I’ve been using Cloud 9 on a Chromebook for the past year as my primary development environment. I’ve found it to be dependable and I’ve gotten used to it.

You do need to configure SSH LocalForward settings to allow the ability to test your web applications in your local browser, but there aren’t too many tricks beyond that. Because I needed to run Docker in my workspace I changed my Cloud 9 workspaces over to use the SSH workspace option, initially connecting to a VM I rented from Google Cloud (I’m sure digital ocean would be fine too) and eventually build my own Ubuntu server at home.

Chromebooks work really well in that type of setup I described, because they’re basically just a thin client and you’re deferring the load to another machine you’re connecting to through SSH. I’m using a pixel (the 16GB RAM model) and performance has never been a problem, although I have tried it on a Chromebox with as low as 4GB RAM without too much issue, so I’m not sure what the cutoff point is as far as the RAM/CPU specs are concerned.

I bought a Hisense Chromebook that I got for about $150, and it only has 2 GB of memory. I haven’t had any noticeable problems with Cloud9 on it, but the IDE does use about 300-400 MB of RAM, so it really limits how many other tabs I can have open. The problem usually arises when I also try to use a remote desktop connection for work; using both together causes the desktop connection to crash fairly frequently. As long as the students are focused on one task (i.e. not browsing Facebook at the same time), even a low-end Chromebook should perform adequately with Cloud9.