Cloud9 for Teams FAQ

I already have a pro individual account. How can I have both?

The team plan stands separate from your individual plan, so you won’t “upgrade” or “downgrade” any other plan to get it (unless of course you choose to). If you only need a team plan, you’ll want to cancel your individual plan once you get your team plan (workspaces may be transferred to the team from you individual account but you cannot transfer them back).

Why can’t I resize my workspace?

If you can’t resize a workspace, it is likely owned by someone (you or someone else) with a free individual account and not the team. In order to resize it, make sure the owner of the workspace is the team you belong to.

What’s the difference between a workspace and a ‘team’ workspace?

There’s no difference. A team workspace is a premium workspace that’s owned by the team and not the individual creating it. It behaves exactly like a normal, individual workspace.

My workspace URL has my username in it, not my team’s name. Is it still a team workspace?

Yes, if you selected the owner to be the team then it is owned by the team. Even workspaces owned by teams maintain the URL structure with the username of the person that created the workspace so you won’t see the team’s name in your workspace URL.

How/when am I billed for team members that I add to my team?

Individual members are not charged for membership in teams, just team owners (note that for School teams, owners are not charged for additional members). As soon as a new team member is added, the team is charged for that team member, for the remainder of that month (e.g. if I add a team member halfway through the month, I’ll be immediately charged 50% of the per user price).

When I remove team members, the unused time in the month is detracted from my next month of billing (e.g. I remove a team member halfway through the month so I’ll have a discounted charge next month).

Where can I see all workspaces that belong to my team?

Simply visit https://c9.io/<team_name>.

Where can I see other members of my team?

Only admins can see a full list of team members. They can do so by going to https://c9.io/team/<team_name>/manage

What privileges does an admin have that a member doesn’t?

Admins have the ability to add and remove team members from the team.

Can my team have multiple admins? How do I make someone an admin?

Yes, you can have multiple admins. To make someone an admin, simply click on “Make Admin” next to their name on your team members page (https://c9.io/team/<team_name>/manage).

“An account with this name already exists” Why do I have this error?

While a Teams account is different from an individual account, they both fall into the same namespace. This allows us to keep the profile URLs clean and consistent. For example, all public workspaces for myuser can be found at https://c9.io/myuser and all public workspaces for myteam can be found at https://c9.io/myteam.

With this in mind, you’ll need to use unique entries for the username and email address of your team that do not overlap with entries used by existing users or teams.

What happens if someone on my team leaves? Do I still pay for them?

Nope. If someone on your team should no longer be on your team, for whatever reason, just head to your team admin page and remove them from the team. Their unused time on Cloud9 will be given back to you in a pro-rated discount for the following billing cycle.

How do I stop billing for my team account?

Teams do not have a free plan, so in order to stop the billing, you would have to remove or discontinue your entire team account.

How do I discontinue my entire team account?

First, log into the Cloud9 account of a team admin. Then from there, go to https://c9.io/team/<team_name>/account, where <team_name> is the name of your team.

From there, you should be able to delete the team. Just make sure you’re sure before you go ahead :wink:

Why sign up for a team plan when an individual plan is cheaper?

With a team plan, you’ll get increased productivity that will allow you to focus on your code and not managing your team. For more details, see the question about team advantages below.

I had a premium individual account, can I cancel it now that I have a team?

Many users decide to go this route but you don’t have to. If you’re part of a team owned by your company or someone else then you may now want to cancel your personal plan.

If individual users no longer need their individual plan, it’s best to:

1. Become a member of the team (via invite)
  2. Transfer any premium workspaces to the team via the workspace settings page (note: you cannot transfer a workspace back to an individual after transferring to a team)
  3. Cancel that individual plan.

Quick, what are the biggest advantages of Cloud9 for teams?

• Centralized billing
  • Clone workspaces from/for team members
  • More hot workspaces
  • User management

Do you support single sign-on (SSO)?

No. Team members will need to sign on via https://c9.io with their Cloud9 accounts.

Related topics

Education Plan FAQs
What is a Cloud9 Team?
School plan not working as expected
Credit Card Required for Free Account
Possible to clone workspaces from a different account?
Signed up for team but plan still says free
What are hot workspaces?
What are hot workspaces?

I currently have three employees signed up on individual plans. How can I best convert them onto a team plan?

Since users can have a personal paid plan in addition to a team plan, there isn’t necessarily a way of “converting” users to a team plan.

If individual users no longer need their individual plan, it’s best to:

1. Become a member of the team (via invite)
  2. Transfer any premium workspaces to the team via the workspace settings page (note: you cannot transfer a workspace back to an individual after transferring to a team)
  3. Cancel that individual plan.

@bradydowling

I’m currently evaluating C9 for our company and have a few unanswered questions:

• Are there any SSO functionality for team accounts?
  • We use active directory and would like to in someway link users, where does this appear on the roadmap?
  • Are team users able to create workspaces that are still private to only that user?
    • If able are there restrictions similar to a free account, or does it act like a premium account?
  • Is there a public roadmap of features and advancements for the team functionality?

Thanks!

@bradydowling

I believe I have answered my own questions but feel free to share updates if these changes:

• There is no SSO functionality available.
  • We cannot in anyway link our active directory users to the team/accounts
  • Team members must still purchase a premium account ($19) to have additional private workspaces not shared with the team.
  • I’ve been unable to find a public roadmap and see a lot of unanswered support questions and bugs.

I’ve had this topic open in a thread for the past couple days because I’ve been meaning to respond to it so I’m glad you followed up here :ok_hand:

• You’re right about SSO, that this is not a supported feature.
  • As for team members and private workspaces, I believe team members may keep the code within workspaces private from one another but a list of team workspaces will always be viewable to all team members (I don’t have a perfect understanding of how this works so correct me if I’m wrong on this).
  • We do not have a public roadmap, though we sometimes share tidbits on certain things within the community if it is not sensitive information.

Unfortunately, there are unanswered questions and bugs listed in the community. While we spend a lot of time in the community, it remains a free support channel. Premium members do have access to premium support via the support page or for team members via support@c9.io.

The community is quite active so you’ll see Cloud9 employees frequent here and endorse the community to other users :thumbsup: If a topic is unanswered, though, it could be for a bunch of different reasons. Perhaps the question is confusing or no one knows the answer. Sometimes it’s just not constructive to respond about a bug that won’t be fixed right away, even though the report itself is valuable. Hopefully that helps give a look into how we view the community a little bit. I’m happy to answer further questions about teams or the community :slight_smile:

I’m confused on pricing for additional team members, if say i only had one member to add to my projects how much will the cost go up?

sounds like 50% of the team pricing + team pricing. Which seems ridiculous to me.

Or would it make more sense to just get one individual account and invite my other team member (who would be using a free account) to my projects?

I have a team account. The team name shows in my admin area and I can manage it.

My projects are all associated with the team.

I’m getting notices that I have reached the limit of my disk quota and that I need to upgrade my account to get more. It tells me I’m using a free account. It appears that I am unable to take advantage of the “premium workspace” features of my team workspace. I am still limited by my “free” account, even though I’m paying $29/month.

If I have to upgrade to a premium account, what’s the point of a team account? All it does is show a list of projects that each member can clone, but the workspaces are still owned and namespaced by the individuals. Collaboration is within each member’s own workspace. What’s the difference between that and just sharing your project?

It sounds to me like we would be better off with individual accounts and just sharing projects as needed. The only other benefit would be centralized billing, which is not a concern once the automated billing is set up.

The main reason we signed up for team accounts was so that we could have a central repository of projects making it easier to onboard new developers or outside contractors.

This whole team space idea seems like an absolute afterthought and is not at all compatible with people who actually want to function as real collaborative teams, especially for a company or department. It’s great if you’re a freelancer and just want someone to pop in to help on occasion. I really hope there is some improvement in this area, but we’re seeing no new development on this “beta” feature, at least over the last 6 months that we’ve used the product. We’re looking for alternatives.