Cloud9 equivalent for windiff or diffmerge?

Hi. I have two directories. One is the way the application looked at the end of Chapter 2. The other is the way the application looked at the end of Chapter 3. I would like to find out: 1) What files are different. 2) I’d like to be able to drill down and see what changed in a particular file, and then pop back up.

I’ve been doing it with diff --recursive --brief -w dir1 dir2 | grep -v node_modules
Then doing a diff on each file one by one, from the command line.
But this is going to happen a lot. I’d prefer a GUI way.

Is there one?

Download both directories to my local hard drive and use diffmerge?

Hi there,

While we would like to add integrated GIT support, we currently do not have it. Your suggestion of downloading the files to your local disk and running a diffing application from there sounds good.

Regards,

Remy

All right. That’s how I’ll handle it. Thanks.

Actually, I got my dander up, and tried installing kompare.

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install kompare
$ kompare auction chapter3
kompare: cannot connect to X server

After that, I tried installing the xorg-xserver, and discovered there is one already installed that is up to date. I tried starting that service, and it complained that I was trying to change the ownership of some files in the /tmp directory. I could have sudo-ed service x11-common start but I got cold feet. What if I blew myself out of my own session?

Just recording it as info for the next person, and to give someone a chance to say “all you need to do is this one simple step.”

…Rick

Hmm. Maybe it can’t be done because it’s a virtual environment. There are no actual device drivers.

rhedin:~/workspace cd /etc/X11 rhedin:/etc/X11 sudo X -configure

X.Org X Server 1.15.1
Release Date: 2014-04-13
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-76-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux rhedin-auction-4836865 4.9.17-c9 #1 SMP Thu Mar 23 01:38:54 UTC 2017 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.9.17-c9 root=UUID=f5d73494-1cf2-4811-8e2d-67884d4bd6e7 ro console=ttyS0,38400n8 cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1 apparmor=1 security=apparmor quiet
Build Date: 12 February 2015 02:49:29PM
:
nouveau
vesa
fbdev
xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
No devices to configure. Configuration failed.
(EE) Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.
rhedin:/etc/X11 $

you can try using cloud9-vnc Can Cloud9 handle C++ GUI windows.

What about checking your code into GitHub for future work and then comparing different branches or commits?
Introducing GitHub Compare View

Simple File Compare feature

I think that will do the job. Thanks, eharman!

(Is there some way to click “Answer” here?)