Changes History for Folders etc

I love Cloud9 for its file revision history, using which I can just view complete edit history for a file. But what about Folders and new files being created/deleted? Like I want to see all the changes that have happened within my workspace, including but not limited to file/folder names changed, new files/folder being created and so on.

Is it possible?

Not from what I can tell but if you regularly upload to github or some other version tracking system, it’ll keep track of everything you do. Cloud9’s file revision history only works on existing files, if you accidently delete a file, you’d have to be able to remember it’s filename so you could use the that feature to recover the contents. I don’t know of a tool that keeps track of folders, just the contents within.

Could be a useful feature to expand on though. :slightly_smiling:

@jms1989 is spot on. This functionality doesn’t exist because a version control system is a much better way of doing this. I’d definitely consider Git or another similar solution.

@bradydowling Git seems a good idea for this. But the problem here is, we already have initialized a Git repository in our folder, and we don’t push the changes there that quick, very rarely instead. How would you recommend we use Git, so that all changes get tracked as quickly as possible? Something like initializing 2 repositories in one folder? Thanks :slight_smile:

I think I’ve reached the end of my suggestions on this :smile: I know Cloud9 won’t meet this exact need for you so however you choose to pursue this would just be personal preference. I make commits several times a day so Git would achieve this for me but if that’s no part of your workflow then I’m not quite sure what would be the best option for you.

One more thing I thought I’d mention on this, you can add multiple urls that can be used to upload/download from multiple repositories. On my main project, I keep my source on bitbucket in a private repo but deploy the public files to github. It uses a separate repo for the public files but the program manages that with a single rake command. All I have to do is perform a few commands to push my source to bitbucket.

Git itself, supports multiple urls and can push files to different branches depending on how you set it up.