Cannot debug app if using mongodb

debug
nodejs
mongodb

I have a project using express and mongodb.

I have successfully installed mongodb, and I can connect to it. If I run my app, I am able to insert and query the db.
I am able to successfully run my app from a terminal using “node app.js”.

Problem:

When I try to debug my app (running my app from a “Run Configuration”) I get the following error :

ENOTDIR: not a directory, stat ‘/home/ubuntu/workspace/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/auth/gssapi.js/package.json’

This is caused by the line of code which is loading the mongodb :

var MongoClient = require(‘mongodb’).MongoClient

What am I doing wrong ? Why does this work if I start the app from a terminal, and not when I start it from a “Run Configuration” ?

( I am really new to C9 and node.js , hopefully I am not doing anything stupid )

There may be something different in environment variables.
start by adding console.log(require.resolve('mongodb')) before the require line, to see if same mongodb is called in both cases.

I tried, but the error occurs before the console.log(require.resolve('mongodb')) gets executed.

So apparently this crashes as soon as I import mongodb. ( But only when debugging )

Any ideas ? Thanks a lot.

console.log(require.resolve('mongodb')) gets executed.
but what does it print?
Also maybe different version of node is used when debugging? Which runner do you use?

Yes, you are right.
For both run types it prints /home/ubuntu/workspace/node_modules/mongodb/index.js

I am ussing the Node.js(default) runner.

Node.js(default) runner uses default version from nvm. Do you use the same when running from commandline?

When running from the commandline I just use node app.js … I assume this uses the default version?

Executing nvm ls prints :

v0.8.28
v0.10.46
v0.12.15
iojs-v3.3.1
-> v4.5.0
v5.12.0
system
default -> 4 (-> v4.5.0)
node -> stable (-> v5.12.0) (default)
stable -> 5.12 (-> v5.12.0) (default)
iojs -> iojs-v3.3 (-> iojs-v3.3.1) (default)

Executing node --versions prints :

v4.5.0

So as I was fearing from the beginning, it was something stupid.

I had “Pause on uncaught exceptions” enabled, and obviously the app was not getting deployed, as the execution was paused at some uncaught exception in fs.js