AWS Cloud9 has launched!

“far from user friendly”? THAT’S an understatement!

where is the freaking documentation for the “HELLO WORLD” app in this new AWS version??? how do i run a simple freaking static web page!!!

Is there an open source alternative to Cloud9? This was always a big selling point of c9.io. CodeAnywhere is NOT open source. Anyone know what similar services are? I do not mind paying a monthly fee.

codenvy is built on top of eclipse che which is open source (I think redhat openshift will also be based on that) but i’m not a fan of that. codeanywhere is far better.
However with c9 now closing, maybe it opens up a door for some competition.

Thank you all for your feedback, it’s really useful to us at this time :slightly_smiling_face:. I don’t have any specific details but just wanted to let you know that we are listening and taking your input on-board.

Thank you again for supporting Cloud9 and working with us to make it even better.

CS50 will continue to function as it does today :slightly_smiling_face:.

hi, still confused on where education plan is going. I read that we can continue with our plan while the legacy c9 is still intact. When will we be forced to move to AWS and what happens when we do?

Also, if I understand this correct, migration to AWS means it’s moving to a usage based cost as opposed to a fixed rate plan correct? What does this mean for the public/private state of projects? Are we moving to all private?

Following up on this: having an IDE open will prevent the connected EC2 environments from stopping.

Exactly. Could not say it better, so just :clap:

Every good thing has its end, so indeed this is very sad day for me, as cloud 9 is my free “poor man dev environment” for last few years and all the time I felt like I have better dev environment than people which spent a lot of money on tooling. So I can’t describe how much I’m grateful to cloud 9 team that they made this possible for me and I’m happy for them if they succeed to make some serious money from this now. Guys I wish you all the best in this new venture! I just hope that you will fight and negotiate for us to keep our free workspaces for some time, hopefully unlimited :slight_smile: Cloud 9 :heart: 4ever

What’s about free tier? It’s forever or after 1 year I should pay for using c9?

OK, so will there be easy templates like the ones we currently have in c9 or not?
I just had a (very) quick read of this CodeStar and it does not look like something I want to learn just to be able to set up some quick test templates like I can currently in c9… (the effort of learning this CodeStar thing seems to be more than the effort of just creating a blank environment and setting it up to my needs).

I don’t mind paying more for cloud 9, you guys treated us damn well. First time I used it, I couldn’t believe it, it was like stepping into the future of development.

Taking a quick glance at AWS c9 though… I know amazon must insist on UI uniformity, but what a downgrade. It must have been hard for cloud 9 developers to trade their beautifully crafted UI for shit corporate design. Might as well insist we only use AWS c9 in gray cubicles while you’re at it.

Is there anyway to link a github repo to an AWS Cloud 9 workspace. I can see that you can git clone one into a workspace? Its different than the old method where the workspace was essentially a github clone

There is currently no timeline or migration plan for c9.io. We greatly appreciate our existing c9.io customers and want to make sure we can provide a smooth and easy transition. As soon as we have a timeline we will communicate that to you along with the plan for moving your projects to AWS Cloud9. In the meantime, we will continue to operate c9.io and welcome your continued feedback to help make AWS Cloud9 better than ever.

Is Cloud9 being replaced with AWS Cloud 9?
Education Plan FAQs

Cancelled the pro sub and jumped over to AWS. Really wish I had waited to cancel… I use AWS for most of my applications and I got to say you guys dropped the ball on this one. Spent 30mins getting an environment setup that is mostly similar to what I had out of the box but missing some key items. I’m going to be looking elsewhere…

• QOL - Your one click github integration and workspace templates allowed me to get up and running with a forked application within mins. For me this made testing new ideas and getting a preview of that idea frictionless

• SSL - AWS is a complicated beast for non-dev folks. You guys had SSL enabled previews out of the box with no work on our side.

• Ubuntu - While we didn’t have much of a choice in the underlying OS you at least used something that was decent. AL is far from usable. Most of my time was spent trying to find the right set of yum packages to get PG and other items working.

• Sharing - IAM is a mess. I really don’t want to have to muddy up my IAM user roles so that I can add a bunch of folks to review a project. We need to go back to the process you have in place today.

Congrats to the C9 team for the launch. I know this must of been years worth of work to get it integrated even to this point. Just got to say tho that don’t forget about the things that made c9 approachable and special to many of us.

Would you please provide some sort information about your Salesforce plans? At the very least, let us know if you plan to continue supporting it?

How long I can use “legacy Cloud9”.

How do I reach my existing Cloud9 account?
Yesterday I was logged out automatically. If I try to log in there appears a warning: 'your account is blocked’
I can not login with my username or email.

Hey :slightly_smiling_face:.

This one should help: AWS Cloud9 has launched!