AWS Cloud9 has launched!

I am a cloud 9 pro user and I only use SSH workspaces. Is it possible to continue using SSH workspaces to connect to my own server with AWS cloud 9?

Today there are many online services which are free for open source, from CI (travis, appveyor, …), to coverage (coverall, codecov, …) to code quality to dependency monitoring and the list goes on and on… but seems that for actual development environment c9 just closed its gates to the open source community. That’s a real shame.
All those who hail the new amazon changes just don’t do open source development and contribute to the community.

I’ve used Cloud9 Pro for it was really simple to just create a hosted workspace and start hacking something up. It’s quite important for me to just create a workspace and leave it be if i’m no longer interested in that particular project. I’ve accumulated quite a few workspaces that way.

With AWS Cloud9, every new workspace i create will incur monthly charges. I know they hibernate after some minutes, but the monthly EBS charge remains, and it’s 0.80$ per month. So effectively, i’m capped at some 20 workspaces before i start paying more per month for AWS Cloud9, and that’s not even counting the active time spent coding.

From what I can understand, essentially this change completely removed real Cloud9-style hosted workspaces, and we’re left with two workspace types:

• SSH Workspace, like we’re used to using
  • SSH Workspace, exactly the same as above, except it autoconfigures to connect to AWS EC2

Sad times :frowning:

Yeah, I’m noting my displeasure on this one with my wallet; it’s knee-jerky, but I’ve cancelled my subscription.

I’ve avoided AWS for a plethora of reasons before, and for whatever reason I slipped through the cracks in being notified about this. I have no e-mails indicating that this was upcoming, nor any that even told me it happened. Rude surprise when I tried to go to https://c9.io/ this morning.

The flat monthly fee for unlimited private workspaces with a clean, standalone product is precisely what I was after. See you over at https://codeanywhere.com!

What would happen to the original C9 free-tier plan? I am using this free-tier since I joined C9. My understanding is that AWS free-tier only gives you 12-months.

So no more free-tier when the C9-AWS integration is completed?

Yup! You should be able to use up to 10 SSH workspaces per user (and 100 per team) at no additional charge:
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/cloud9/latest/user-guide/limits.html

You can copy an environment by creating an AMI (Amazon Machine Image) from your current EC2 instance, launching a new EC2 Instance from your AMI, and setting the instance up as an SSH Environment.

I’m not seeing any explicit mentions of templates in our marketing materials, but we do offer templates through AWS CodeStar (you can find a list of available templates here).

It shouldn’t take too long to set up SSL on an instance, I’d recommend taking a look at the EC2 instructions on the topic. Of note, you’ll only need to follow step 1 for basic SSL capabilities.

You can do this if you create a new EC2 instance off of an Ubuntu 16.04 AMI and configure the instance as an SSH workspace.

You should be able to use any port you choose. The requirement of IP address 0.0.0.0 and ports 8080-8082 were due to technical limitations with our legacy implementation; since you own the EC2 instance you’re using, you can configure it to serve traffic on any port you’d like.

Check my reply to cpath above regarding SSL

Looking into this one just to make sure I know what constitutes inactivity.

Spot instances should be usable, but you’ll need to set them up as SSH environments. This also goes for instances that aren’t included in the general purpose list.

Yup. In fact you can dump your subscription and use AWS Cloud 9 for free! That’s exactly what I just did. I was resenting the high cost of the subscription and looking to jump ship anyway.

…for 12 months, then you have to pay for AWS.

Congrats on joining the Borg.

12 months, and C9 is done. That’s how long the “Free” accounts are on AWS. As you’ve NOT explained how “C9” is going to work on AWS; I have to assume it’s 12 months and pay. That’s when C9 dies.

These would all be great things to have C9 automate for us, so that we can do them easily in a few clicks as we can on the original C9.

A large part of what makes C9 useful and great is the incredible ease of it. As things are now, it makes me wonder why I wouldn’t just spin up something like Digital Ocean droplets and just mount an SSH drive with any old editor, since it will take me almost the same amount of time. without having to know or care about what AMIs, IAMs, ABCs, and XYZs even are.

Again, I like C9 a lot, and I’m hopeful. But the new AWS version is currently worse in almost every way that matters to me. Before it felt like I had super powers compared to other devs working locally, now it feels like I’m doing at least as much work as they are and paying to do so.

The AWS system is far too complicated for students learning to web code for the first time. I’m in doubt about cloud9’s existing system being maintained in the long term as Amazon seem highly motivated to make Cloud9 an AWS service.

The AWS interface is far from user friendly, and thus unsuitable for education. I see no indication that Amazon are aware of the needs of educators to have a stable, consistent platform that’s going to match course material in the long term.

So my question is, does Amazon care about education at all? Because this is some scary stuff to pull on your educator community, especially as new teachers are presently unable to sign up for new teaching accounts so they can add their own classes.

I have a pro account and figured I’d see what it would take to get on AWS. Honestly, this is going to be a challenge for those who simply just want to code.

First, the beauty of Cloud9 was that I could select the type of project that I wanted to work on. My thing is Django. Well, the AWS Cloud9 instances deployed are barebones so, setup would take more time than I care to. So, what is the AWS alternative to this? CodeStar. This apparently offers pre-built tempates based on a number of languages/frameworks.

This brings me to my second point. What is the point of a barebones Cloud9 when there is Codestar? Does Cloud9 simply become a front-end for CodeStar?

Which goes to my third point. When I rolled out a CodeStar template, I found that Github integration is limited. I can create a project and it will build a repository but, beyond that, I can’t readily use the Cloud9 front end. Apparently, to do this, I have to create a Cloud9 project, as well,and clone my git repo into it to work on code. However, if I am reading this correctly, this puts me right back at square one, having to build out this environment for things like, actually testing my code. So, now I have to run two instances for one project.

The answer leads to point 4. Apparently, Amazon is favoring its own source control system, AWS CodeCommit, which would allow for you to select AWS Cloud9 as you IDE during the CodeStar project build. I am guessing that, you could probably plug in to GitHub from the command line to continue to use your existing GitHub repos. The upside is that it appears that AWS CodeCommit would cause me to incur zero cost, given the small scale of my projects.

Finally, to point #5. It took a lot of trial and error to get here, including having to figure out how to delete S3 buckets, to fully delete a project environment in order to redeploy it under the same name. Fortunately, I administer servers for a living so, some of these concepts aren’t totally foreign to me but, this could pose a big concern for those who are not so inclined.

I guess what I am saying is that this is a mixed bag. There are a lot of powerful tools with AWS but, if you just want to code, this might put some people off. I’m going to give it a shot but, if I am being honest, this looks like this transition could end with the loss of a lot of long-term users.

And AWS requires “third party cookies.” WTF! That’s not secure. All their preaching about “best practices” on security; is nothing but Kabuki theater.

#Borg assimilation begins!

AMEN!

The docs are terrible for AWS/c9, which makes it worse.

Most Admins have trouble with AWS.

Phat payday for C9, though.

Exactly! Ease of use and “light-weightedness” (both in the setup and on the pocket) were the main reasons to go with C9. I"m hopeful that these features will be back at some point, we just have to wait now.

Just to point it out blatantly, other serious competitors (like CodeEnvy) have offered a potentially more powerful system (thanks to containers) for a while, but their learning curve, absence of some security protections (e.g. for previews) and pricing became the main friction point for me to steer to C9. Now C9 looks similar to them (both are still good IDEs though).

I was concerned about that as well, since I disable 3rd-party cookies in the browser and only make exceptions after that. Looks like the cookie is for vfs.cloud9.us-east-1.amazonaws.com, so it should not compromise privacy and is easy enough to whitelist (still more work than necessary though, IMO).

If you want your good product go dead. sell it to Amazon.

That step is actually quite a bit of work - but even beyond that, c9.io allowed us to authenticate and authorize specific users (via Sharing) to access our preview. Now, we would have to implement a custom auth scheme just to enable selective access. Of course we can run an Apache with OpenIDC in front, but that requires a lot of technical skill.

you are so right!! “…I feel like I need a manual for the manual” …i’d LOL if it weren’t so painful :frowning: