apache2 buffer overflow detected error

apache
wordpress

I am running a LAMP-stack Wordpress application (usage/limit is memory 161MB/1GB, disk: 323MB/5GB), and I frequently see ‘buffer overflow detected’ messages popping up when I run my server.

[Wed Jan 27 07:04:33.178401 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid xxxx] AH00163: Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.5.9-1ubuntu4.13 configured -- resuming normal operations
 [Wed Jan 27 07:04:33.178459 2016] [core:notice] [pid x] AH00094: Command line: 'apache2'
 *** buffer overflow detected ***: apache2 terminated
 ======= Backtrace: =========

This had been happening sporadically over the last few days, and as of today it happens every single time I restart apache2.

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem          1048576       31840     1001811      998920       14924       10125
Swap:          0           0           0

I’m the only person loading the site but every time it’s loaded the buffer overflow error presents itself. I’ve restarted the workspace, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled apache2 after updating apt-get yet the error remains. At this point I don’t know how to debug or resolve, and would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out.

What’s odd is I can access phpmyadmin with no issue, I can even go to /wp-admin with no issue; however, when I try to load the site itself, it throws this error.

Thanks!

Hi,

Since Apache seems to be working fine with PHPMyAdmin, I wonder if there’s a plugin or some code within your Wordpress config that’s doing this? Can you check the apache logs (~/lib/apache2/log/error.log) to see if there’s a clue there or turn off plugins etc one by one to see if disabling a specific plugin fixes it?

Regards,
​Mutahhir

Thanks for your speedy response Mutahhir. The stack trace in the logs was not super helpful, but I went through all the plugins I was using (not many to begin with) and disabled them one by one until the error stopped presenting itself. Turns out you are right, there is some code being run that is causing the buffer overflow.

Thanks again!

Awesome! Glad you were able to find the problem!

Have a great day and happy coding!

Regards,
​Mutahhir